Downloading 712 Pictures

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Hello,

In preparation for buying a New Computer (with W10 this time), I want to download the 721 pictures on my old W7 computer and store them on an 8GB SanDisk Thumb Drive until I can upload them into the new machine.

The pictures are all 800 x 600 Pixels.

After plugging the Thumb Drive into a USB port on my old computer, then what do I do?

Thanks to all of you!

Harold

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Use file explorer or any other way of showing the directories and drives. Once you see your usb drive stick that just drag the files [pictures] to that drive either one at a time or the full directory. If you are not familiar of drag and drop that is a different problem.

3. Hal Pollner

Registered

Hey Martin,

It looks like the computer automatically coughed up those 721 images and loaded them into the Thumb Drive, which now shows them as 500 MB in a new "Drive E" on the computer drives page.

I bought an 8GB thumb drive, but needed less than 1 GB of memory!

So now I have all those photos in that little Thumb Drive, just waiting to upload into a new Computer!

Thanks again,
    Hal

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

They must be low resolution pictures, @Hal Pollner to get over 700 pictures into 500 MB. When I did a similar thing, it took 45 GB of memory to store them.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Don, that doesn't sound right. 1 GB should hold close to 600 photos of normal res.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It’s one of those “dunno” type of things for me. Whilst 700+ pictures does seem like an awful lot on less than 500 megs, I do remember using zip and compressed files on an old computer of mine which only had 500 megs on C: drive.
    Could it be that the whole thing was compressed into a single zip file?

If so, it gonna go boom when he unzips it or is it a possibility that I am just reliving some incident from the early days? Probably.

Edit: I did a quick search and the average point and shoot picture takes about 12MPixels or the equivalent of 2.5-5 MB. Either the reference I used is incorrect or something is definitely wrong with Hals load or the information he’s getting.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Hal Pollner likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The answer is, "it depends." Photo storage capability is dependent upon the size and quality of the photos. On my laptop, I have 2600 files in my photos directory, using about 4 GB of disk space.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I wouldn't have paid any attention if it weren't for having to transfer the photos from the computer damaged by the earthquake. I really don't know how many pictures there were, though. One of the reasons I hardly ever post pictures is because my photo files are so large it is a real hassle to reduce them to acceptable size.

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska , if you want to reduce your pictures to a manageable size for forum, use this it's quick and simple. https://postimages.org/

Just use the drop down menu to determine which size you want to reduce your picture to, I usually use 800x600 or smaller.. then upload your picture and it will automatically reduce it to that size. then either save to save to your computer suing a different file name or sue one of the links provided to upload.... It's very quick and easy to use....

here I just uploaded and resized this in 4 seconds......The rainbow over my daughters' place yesterday

rainbow.jpg

10. Hal Pollner

Registered

I have always reduced my picture files to 800 x 600 pixels after uploading them to the Computer.

They come from the Camera at 3200 x 2400 pixels.

Howell

11. Holly Saunders

Registered

Sorry , should have said ''Using'' not ''suing''... o_O

12. Hal Pollner

Registered

Shucks, that's alright, Holly!

H.P.
    e931b69e-e89c-4bc2-8762-4cd548f91556.jpg

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For a Mac, I use Batch Photo Resizer. I can resize as many photos as I want, at one time without overwriting the original photo.

14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

@Holly Saunders I usually use Tinypic when I resize, but it is just a bother. I have tried to manually resize, but it just doesn't work for me. I will try your suggestion if i decide to post photos again.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Holly Saunders

Registered

I think I've already said I use a Mac Mini ken, but for my Birthday this week I'm getting a an Apple iMac 5k with 27 inch screen...

[​IMG]I do like the ease of use of postimages especially since the demise of PB, and Picassa,... but I'm always on the lookout for something better, so I had a hunt just now for Batch Photo Resizer, and couldn't find anything by that name... did you mean Fotoresizer, ?

Yvonne Smith likes this.