Drones

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Patsy Faye, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

A couple hundred won't get you a great one unless they've come down in price since my grandson had one...didn't last long.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My wife knows someone who uses drones for professional aerial photography, but I'm sure he's put some money into them. He can set them to fly a programmed grid, taking photos, then return to base.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

That's the part that I find troublesome, too, @Patsy Faye. This has caused an untold amount of money to be lost and disrupted plans for many people. They could threaten to do it again and demand blackmail money. Or, even worse, load the drones with deadly viruses. The possibilities boggle the mind.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Anything is possible these days and drones are a scary scenario....endless possibilities I would think.

Besides what they can carry...they can mess with an airplane and bring it down...if birds can?

I'm not up on the advancement of drones so don't really know their capabilities.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We live right next to the Redstone Arsenal so I’m pretty sure that most people know better than to fly a bunch of drones around or use any kind of lasers pointed at anything in the sky.
    The “nice” people on the post take a dim view of any kind of stupidity and would visit someone’s home in a New York second if anything would happen to provoke them.

7. Jim Nash

Jim Nash Veteran Member
    Registered

Here in Britain we are suffering huge disruption through an RC drone overflying one of our biggest airports. For days the airport has been closed and there is nothing that can be done or that regulations will allow.
    Shooting the toy down leaves a bullet to return to earth risking injury. Frequency blocking seem ineffectual. A helicopter would be seen and heard by the idiot operator.
    It seems that the drone is just flown across the flight path intermittently. It's amazing that we have the most sophisticated military equipment along with the nuclear deterrent and you can close an airport with an unlicensed toy purchased on the internet. Amazing.

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Amazing - unbelievable
    I still cannot comprehend the circumstances of this and especially why the blasted thing has not been found and destroyed.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

110, 000 people who have been unable to travel due to this complete idiot, 7,00 flights cancelled , and that was just yesterday!! They think this is not a gamer..this is someone whose likely to be a lone-eco-wolf... .

My idea is that when and if they find this person...that not only should he be imprisoned ( and that's a given anyway)... they should face the cost of all those cancelled flights!!!

Gatwick is up and running again today but it's going to be a logistical nightmare to get everything running as it should again....

Bobby Cole and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  10. Sir Walter Pasty

Sir Walter Pasty Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems this person or persons were tech savvy enough to avoid detection.You shoot down one drone-he could send another.And making them illegal won't stop an idiot.

11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Pity we're not as 'tech savvy' - maybe soon, we will be

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

The police have arrested 2 suspects today, a man and a woman.....

A man and a woman have been arrested in connection with the criminal drone activity at Gatwick Airport, as a witness said he saw a cyclist 'frantically' packing away two drones away down a country lane near the airport.

The two suspects were arrested 'in the Gatwick area' shortly after 10pm on Friday night, after another day of chaos at the airport which saw dozens more flights cancelled just days before Christmas.

Around 1,000 aircraft have been cancelled or diverted, affecting approximately 140,000 passengers since Wednesday night, a Gatwick spokesman said.

Motorist Paul Motts, 52, said he saw a man in his 30s wearing hi-vis clothing and crouching over a drone in a country lane near the West Sussex airport on Thursday.

Mr Motts said the suspicious man had been trying to 'get away as fast as he could' as Sussex Police combed the countryside to find the drone pilot.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...sted-criminal-use-drones-Gatwick-Airport.html

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Those hundred dollar drones ARE junk!

You've got to spend a grand to begin to get a decent one.

Hal

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Like most technologies, there is both good and bad in drones. I think they should be legal, but I also think it should be legal to shoot them down if they fly over your property. Governments are allowed to destroy drones that fly over government property, so individuals should be offered the same protection. There would be fewer drones in unwanted areas that way.

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

Transpires they got the wrong people...totally innocent people had their lives completely disrupted by the police and media... and are already receiving medical care for the shock ..and still they haven't found those who were responsible, if in fact any.