Drowning In Spain

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Patsy Faye, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you heard about the little girl who got into difficulty in a swimming pool, it was in a resort
    in Spain. Her Father and teenage brother jumped in to help her and all three died !
    The resort management say nothing wrong with the pool, so what on Earth happened for all
    three to drown ? It was just a standard size pool - this may remain a mystery - hope not ……….

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh my that is terriblely sad. Investigation is in order!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Registered

They had people swimming in that pool shortly after !
    So tragic and upsetting

4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I guess there are people who don't know how to swim, but there are floaties for children if a parent isn't right there next to them in the water. I can see something like this in the ocean, river or lake....but not in a swimming pool. That is just bewildering!

If possible, will you update this thread when there is any explanation given??

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

It is totally bewildering, the latest is they say there was nothing wrong with the pool and was just a 'tragic accident'
    An expert does not agree with that, stating - one person maybe - but not three ….
    I hope there is a conclusion to this, if so, will state it here - but I doubt there will be :(

6. Patsy Faye

Registered

The latest is, the Father could not swim, not sure about the teenage son
    I'm wondering now if the deaths could have been due to shock and panic ….
    They were well loved and respected in their community - this is the Father and daughter …..
    [​IMG]

Bess Barber likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

This is the pool ……
    [​IMG]

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just looked online, and apparently none of the family members knew how to swim, so that is why they all drowned. The article went on to say that the water in the pool was cold, and they think that might have contributed to the drownings, but was not the actual cause of it.
    The parents should never have allowed their daughter to go in the pool if none of them could swim.

Maybe they allowed her to wade in the shallow end and then she got in too deep of water, so the brother and father jumped in to try and save her. The pool was about 6 1/2 feet deep at the deepest part, so if she had gotten that far out, it would have been over everyone’s heads.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/spanish-police-find-uk-family-drownings-67933403

Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yep, wasn't sure about the boy, your news covered that fact
    They must have passed very quick as other people were around - unbelievable story

10. Patsy Faye

Registered

The wife has spoken for the first time and is adamant that all 3 could swim
    She also stated the girl climbed down the pool ladder into the water and she seemed to be dragged into the middle
    of the pool. There were ample people around at that time
    I sense a cover up by the resort and police

Lois Winters likes this.
  11. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The air temperature was 56 degrees at 13:30 the time of this tragedy. It was an outdoor pool. These are facts no one disputes.

The mother claims that the girl entered the pool using the ladder at the shallow end. Why didn’t she exist realizing how cold the water was? The mother was sunbathing so did she really see the girl enter the pool? The mother claims she saw the girl being drawn out to deep water. I would think at this point the mother would have reacted and entered the pool at the shallow end going after her. She claims they all could swim. There is no doubt in my mind that the brother and father jumping in, suffered shock over the water temperature. I suspect the girl jumped in the deep end also. Even if the pool was draining, that would not suck anyone from the shallow end to the deep end. This was a very large and long pool, one of many at this resort. I seriously doubt they were heated other than by the sun.

I don't see how the resort could be held responsible. I have a hard time believing that some strange magnetic force suddenly occurred and then disappeared. It must have been sunny since they were sunbathing and I assume wearing swimsuits. With a body temperature of 98.6 or so and the air at 56, then even if the water was 60-65 from suns heat, the shock factor causing muscle cramps is the only scientific explanation. I don't see any reason the resort and police would cover up anything, because such would eventually come to light and put that resort out of business. I don't think the mother is lying, just not clear on what really happened. The sudden dead of a loved one can do strange things to the mind.

I have read five reports of the mothers statements and they all differ. The link that Tom post above, differs from her original statement. Until we have a video of the mothers statements and can hear what she says and how it compares to original statements she made to the police, rumors will spread like wildfire. Someone will have to prove how the pool could malfunction affecting only three family members. One report says there was a third daughter that was unaffected. Only time and reliable news sources may shed some light on this horrible event. Lots of fake news on the internet.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  13. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Copied this post off another site I am on.

Quote.

I read that a staff member of the hotel got into the pool with them . I have a horrible feeling the pumps pulled the child in as her swim cap was found in the pump . I have a horrible feeling it sucked the three into it with such force. God knows how . My mind may be working overtime but it's awful awful awful . The poor mother.

Lois Winters likes this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Latest is there was a chlorine blast. If so how were the divers able to go in less than an hour later. You could smell that kind of chlorine many yards away. I have no doubt it was the cold water. Everyone should read and know about cold water pools before going in. I bet this resort will start having every guest read this and sign a waiver. No grieving mother wants to accept the fact that it was the parents responsibility to know about cold water swimming. Less than 70 degrees is dangerous! http://www.coldwatersafety.org/WhatIsCold.html

15. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't know what the pool safety regulations are in Spain, but unscreened pool pumps or too much chlorine has never drowned anyone. There is a good chance the whole group could NOT swim and the mother is trying to blame the hotel. I can understand in her grief where she may need to blame someone. Money won't replace her family, but she may be seeking some financial consideration. She must be devastated. How would a person get past that kind of loss?

It's hard to tell on the internet what the truth is. As @Faye Fox stated, it is so full of fake news and wrong details. I'm sure the truth will come out eventually as a proper investigation is done. The hotel/resort has to prove they aren't negligent or they could easily be closed or go out of business.
    Thanks @Patsy Faye for coming back and updating the story.