Economics

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Harry Havens, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have to give this Bloomberg author credit for optimism with this article on wages and employment.
    Citing the BLS...
    The article filled with optimism and it might be warranted, if not for another report from that same BLS, back in August...
    Granted the Bloomberg report is for August Earnings and the BLS report I cited is for July, but I doubt inflation fell in August. We should know shortly with the next CPI due out on Thursday, along with the real average earnings report. Just click on the BLS link above and see for yourself on Thursday. BTW, the CPI-U is forecast at 2.8%, with a range of 2.7%~3.0%.

Is the glass half full, or half empty?

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Harry Havens

Registered

The latest Supplemental Poverty Measure for 2017 was released yesterday. The oft cited standard poverty measure uses a blanket cost in the 48 states and separate figures for Alaska and Hawaii. The supplemental delves into variations in cost of living from state to state.

Cost of housing plays a large part in the deviations and larger population centers tend to have higher housing costs and generally higher taxes, more services, etc. It is also easy to assume that housing costs would vary greatly in any state. However population totals are also factored in establishing this report.
    upload_2018-9-13_8-26-29.png

State by state chart begins on pg. 26.

3. Harry Havens

Registered

The August CPI has been released.

As for C.O.L.A., the CPI-W now looks like this...
    upload_2018-9-13_8-57-46.png

The 247.870 is just my best guess at this point for the September reading. It should be noted that I originally overestimated the August number and knew it was in trouble when the PPI came out.

Also the Real Earnings Summary is out. Actually not so bad and maybe the glass is half full.

Don Alaska likes this.