Election Day Party

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Chrissy Cross, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Chrissy Cross

Registered

The thoughts of a Hillary campaign worker....

IMG_6295.JPG

3. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I believe it as well @Martin Alonzo I never prayed harder in my life;)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm afraid we won't be so lucky to see the last of them, but WHO CARES, we've got our President!! Wtg America!! Restored my faith in "we the people";)

5. Denise Evans

Registered

firework.jpg I'm also overjoyed that we have Mike Pence, I so like him!!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm guessing that they know there was voter fraud but since it was all theirs, they're not sure how they can use that.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Hillary is going to speak soon I think...

8. Ken Anderson

Here is how America voted yesterday.

usa-color-map.jpg

That little rectangle of red in Maine, that's where I live. As an amusing aside, the "blue" section in northwestern Maine, absolutely no one lives there, yet they colored it blue.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I can't tell exactly how Fresno voted...will look it up.

Edit: Fresno voted Trump. :)

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just read that Clinton will win Minnesota...what are they talking about??? @Ken Anderson

November 9, 2016 11:18am
    BREAKING: Clinton wins Minnesota, AP projects

The Associated Press projects Hillary Clinton will win the state of Minnesota.

November 9, 2016 10:36am
    We are expecting Hillary Clinton to speak momentarily. The flags are set up at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel, and Fox News is told Clinton will be there momentarily.

Click below to Watch Live on FoxNews.com

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Actually I'm getting a little stressed now...I see that Clinton actually won the popular vote by a little.

12. Ken Anderson

That's the good thing about the electoral college. Without it, there would be no reason for people in most of the states to even bother, as only the few most populous states would be represented. That is exactly what the electoral college was intended to do. Usually, it works out that the electoral winner also wins the popular vote, but at least there is a chance that a state like Maine or North Dakota can influence the results in an electoral system.

Presidents who were elected without winning the popular vote include John Quincy Adams in 1824, Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876, Benjamin Harrison in 1878, and George W. Bush in 2000.

Presidential elections in the United States were never popular vote contests. In fact, the writers of the Constitution had it that only the House of Representatives were to be elected by popular vote. Senators would be selected by state legislatures and the President would be selected by the electoral college. The Seventeenth Amendment was ratified in 1913 which made the election of Senators occur through popular vote.

One interesting thing about the electoral college is that the electoral college has not yet met, so our next president has not yet been officially chosen. Theoretically, members of the electoral college pledged to cast their vote for their state's choice can elect to vote for someone else instead. In most states, there would be at least a fine involved, in some states they could be jailed, and in nearly all cases, their political careers would be over if they were to vote against the will of the people of their state. But their electoral vote would still count. To the best of my knowledge, while electors have at times voted differently than their states, there have never been enough of them doing so to affect the outcome.

Two electors in Washington had stated that they would not cast their votes for Hillary Clinton regardless of the way their state voted, although it is unlikely that they would be taking that risk now, given that it wouldn't change anything. In 2012, one of Maine's electors was determined to cast his vote for Ron Paul despite Romney being the Republican nominee. He was talked out of it because he was a very young man with a rich political future ahead of him that he would have risked. As it was, Obama won so he didn't have to worry about it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

ok, thanks...how far was Hillary from the 270 needed?

14. Ken Anderson

Arizona, Minnesota, Michigan and New Hampshire haven't been called yet, but she has 228 and Trump has 279 right now. Trump is ahead in Arizona and Michigan, while Clinton is ahead in Minnesota and New Hampshire, although NH and MI are very close. I don't know why they haven't called Arizona for Trump because he is almost five points ahead with 97.75% of the vote counted, and has been ahead in AZ all along. Even if Clinton were to win all four of these states, which is highly unlikely, she still would still have only 269 votes, one vote short.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. A knot was forming in my stomach.