Ella & Bubba

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Ken Anderson, May 28, 2020.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, Bubba is beautiful. His fur had a healthy sheen to it. You can tell that he is well looked after. I think I said it before but if I come back again, I want to come back as one of your cats.:D

You must find some way to keep the outside kitty's food from freezing. I wonder if they make heated dishes for cats? I know they make heaters for birdbaths.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I am jealous of you and your cats as I have had cats in my life until I started living in the DR. Even sailing we had a cat on the boat who travel with us. We finally got a cat which hates me and loves my daughter she is a real house cat even with the door open she will not go outside. I miss having a friendly cat.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I made them a couple of places to get out of the cold. As far I can tell from my cameras, only one of them has been inside them and I don't know if he stayed there long. Soon, I'll be building a long table for our library and I think I'll have lumber left over, along with other stuff that I have salvaged from other jobs, to make a larger place, with a couple of exits, that they might feel more comfortable with. I am thinking of placing it near the outside electrical outlet so that I could put a heated bed in it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

I feel pretty good about the way he's been developing. When we first got him, as you can see from an earlier photo, he was sick, with gunk coming out of his eyes and nose.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Registered

You ol' softy. :D My son has a heating pad in his storage shed for his cat. He leaves the door cracked enough so Sam can go in and out.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

We all know that the cat's just messing with your head.

I wonder what he might do if you just put it in the freezer and thawed it, rather that go through the ritual that you just went through of offering it to another critter. I think I know.

I swear, when my dog looked at me it was with a "How can I please you?" look, while the cat had that "How can I mess with you?" look...unless it was time to eat. Then all dignity went out the window.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My little dog always wanted what I had on my plate, no matter what it was. So if he refused to eat his food, I'd put it on a paper plate and pretend I was eating it. :D He'd sit there begging until I sat it down for him to "enjoy." Two can play that game.

8. Ken Anderson

My cats beg for treats and are always excited when I give in to them, which I do often. But I found that if they don't see me do it, I can take some of their kibble, which is available to them 24/7, and give it to them as a treat and they are just as excited. I think it's the ask and receive thing more than the treat itself.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Classic.

10. Shirley Martin

Registered

Sam takes time to smell the flowers.

DSCN3419.JPG

11. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken

I am adopting a kitten and this is be the first time with a "baby" in de apartment. How can I prevent him (yes, will be a "he") from eating the new bed's / roomba's and computer's wires?
    Amadeus and Lance never ate them because they were "adults" when we moved to my actual home.
    Thanks.

12. Ken Anderson

If they are in reach, they will probably be chewed. Fortunately, for most cats, the chew-anything-that's-chewable phase is fairly short. Putting two-sided sticky tape on things that the cat focuses on can help because they hate that sensation. We had to replace a couple of cords with Bubba but, fortunately, they were all Michelle's since she's away from her office more often than I am. Although we still have to remind him about claws in the furniture, he's pretty much quit the chewing now.

13. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Ken

Thanks. I guess I am too used to Amadeus never chewing wires / shoes...or anything else.
    The bed's wires are impossible to attach to anything but I just was told by the shelter a way "to fence" the bottom. I will place the roomba inside the closet (there is an outlet there and for the computer's wires I will get special covers which will be hidden.
    Thanks again.

14. Shirley Martin

Registered

@Silvia Benoit , puppies need something to chew on to keep them from chewing on things you don't want chewed. Do they make chew toys for kittens?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Silvia Benoit

Registered

T

Thank you, dear....but I had three kittens in my life...the difference is we were living in a house with two garages...one was "their home" and everything inside to chew.

Shirley Martin likes this.