Elon Musk

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ed Wilson, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Musk buys GM?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What I read was that GM was going bankrupt, and had already closed several of its factories and was about to close even more, putting thousands of people out of work in the middle of winter.
    Now, these people will still have a job, and Elon Musk will have many new automobile factories here that he can use for making more cars.

It probably really frosted the GM board of directors, because they had just told Musk that since he bought Twitter, GM was stopping their paid advertisements; so he just bought the company instead.
    I am wondering if he will still produce vehicles called Chevrolet, and the other GM owned cars ?

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I can't find anything to confirm that Musk bought GM. When did this happen? When I search for it, the only search results are youtube videos. What am I missing?

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Weird.
    It was all over talk radio yesterday and when I did a search for it to get the details there were several links to the buy.
    Today I did a search for it on Bing and Google and only came upon his intentions from a month ago.

But then, I’m still waiting for my coffee to finish brewing.

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Tesla stock has been going down all year and now the hubub is that it is because Musk is cashing out. He still has billions in the company but pocket change won't pay for all his buys. I figure his recent cash out was because gm wouldn't take a check.
    Everyone in governmental power is against him, so, maybe that is why the media is hushed about what he is really doing?

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Me thinks that if he had stayed a Democrat, the present Dem leaning Government would be totally enamored with him.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It huge companies like GM are going bankrupt, places like Amazon are laying off people , and even the news media (TV and Newspapers) are cutting staff, this is a pretty good indication of just how low our economy has gone right now . It would make sense that if the lower-priced cars are not selling, that even the higher priced ones are feeling the pain of the recession; and all of the stock market has been dropping, not just Tesla.

Then there is the huge problem of the cryptocurrency, with the FTX crash and information of all the criminal activity that happened there, adding into our money issues.
    Nothing seems to stop Biden from laundering millions more almost every day in Ukraine though . Maybe. He is stocking up a nest egg there for when the American dollar completely crashes.

I could not find any actual news articles about Musk buying GM either, @Beth Gallagher , just some from before when he was talking about it, and the videos like I posted last night. I have not seen anything about it on Twitter either, and usually news hits there before anywhere else; so I do not know what is really going on.
    If he is buying the factories and keeping people working, I am all for that, regardless of what kind of vehicles he is making there.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The media is never "hushed" about something like the purchase of GM; it would be plastered all over the headlines. Too much speculation going on and not enough facts.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I read two things:

1-When GM cancelled their Twitter advertising, Musk quipped "Maybe I should buy them."

#2-GM is closing (or considering closing) some plants, and Musk has voiced seriously interest in buying them, one would assume to increase Tesla manufacturing capabilities. Could be for Starlink.

Original gossip: "Suzy said she loves Johnny to death."
    Passed on as: "Did you her that Suzy threatened Johnny's life??? Someone better tell him."

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Bingo. It’s like fire extinguishers. It’s like we’re expecting the worst but that’s not the case, just trying to be prepared. In both cases it’s something you would much rather have and not need, than need and not have.…because usually if you NEED either one of those, you need it very badly.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Same here. I've heard it on the radio, but I think it was a pundit show and not a new show. Some of the YouTube stuff was a year old, while others were newer. Maybe he tweeted something about buying GM. When he first said something about buying Twitter, a lot of people didn't believe it.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

There are times when I know I’m going crazy and times when I only think I’m going crazy but thought I was completely lucid when I heard the news broadcasters on the radio on Friday and Saturday talking about the GM buy.
    When I went to get the details using Bing, I read a couple of links and am now sorry I didn’t copy one and post it.

Today…..nada so I must have gone crazy and only thought myself to be sane.

Note: I’m not the only one though. When I did a search earlier this morning there were other queries questioning the validity of the Musk buy of GM.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  13. John Brunner

14. Richard Joseph

Richard Joseph Active Member
    Registered

While the 1st AM's free speech provision can at times bind a private entity, it is rare.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

The current push (now that the platform has ceased to be a mouthpiece for the Federal government) is to have such places declared public utilities. The rationale is that since the Fed "created the space" for these places to exist, such an argument can be made. But if that's the case, one would assume no website would be considered private.