Elon Musk

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ed Wilson, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Richard Joseph

Richard Joseph Active Member
    Registered

Since it is not a "Public Forum" as defined by Case law, Twitter is not bound by the 1st.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If accepted, the next argument would be to make that argument for government control of every website on the Internet.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Exactly. Remember the early days of the Obamacare signups, where the website said words to the effect of "By logging on to this website you agree that your computer belongs to the Federal Government"? It was a "mistake."

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

I never signed up for Obamacare.

5. John Brunner

Reason Magazine just published an article claiming that Musk "made a quixotic decision to suppress links to Substack," thus engaging in a "self-sabotaging betrayal of his principles." Musk had opened up internal Twitter email files to Substack so as to prove that there was a ton of government manipulation behind the scenes. When you read further in the article, Musk claims that "Substack was trying to download a massive portion of the Twitter database to bootstrap their Twitter clone, so their IP address is obviously untrusted."

Reason magazine states that Musk is violating his anti-censorship stance. So Reason either thinks Musk is lying about the pirating of Twitter's infrastructure, or they think that "not censoring" and "being open" includes sitting idly by as someone clones your software so as to create a competitor.

6. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

My own comments are in italics - from Pirate Wires:

Wednesday, Substack announced the beta release of Notes, a Twitter-like scrolling feed for short-form content, which immediately attracted the unbridled wrath of Twitter’s Lord Commander Elon Musk. By Thursday morning, it was no longer possible to embed tweets on Substack, and by Friday it was total war. Over the course of 48 brutal hours, links to Substack were aggressively suppressed, as was Substack’s Twitter account, tweets that mentioned Substack, and every URL that included the company’s name. For Elon’s final act, with a gesture reminiscent of his infamous poop emoji press strategy, Twitter searches for the word “substack” were re-routed to the word “newsletter” (at the time of my writing, they still do). Naturally, reaction from writers who use both Substack and Twitter has been overwhelmingly negative.

In conversation with ‘someone’ at the company (who could it be!), journalist Matt Taibbi, who publishes on Substack, alleged he was given the option of publishing on Twitter — his only recourse — if he didn’t want his work suppressed. In response, Matt, a favored writer of Elon’s and the principal reporter for the Twitter Files, announced his permanent departure from Twitter. Furthermore, he intended to not only remain on Substack, but to use Substack Notes. This apparent betrayal prompted Elon to unfollow him, with one journalist speculating he also delisted Taibbi’s work from Twitter search..

Mike Solana goes easy on Musk and Twitter with an understatement.

[​IMG]

7. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good afternoon to all-

Since I have never twittered- or whatever it is called to use that system- this sort of falderol means nothing to me. Mr. Musk can do whatever he wants with his property.

There are surely better things in the world to worry about than this sort of thing.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

8. Ken Anderson

This is terrific. I feel sorry for the BBC interviewer, but I'll get over that. It's all good, but the best part starts about half way through.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I saw it a few days ago and had a fairly good laugh. Musk was supposed to be the interviewee but turned out to be the interviewer and a good one at that!

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. John Brunner

Elon Musk has withdrawn Twitter from the EU's "voluntary" Anti-Disinformation agreement. Knickers are being soiled because of it. Threats are being made. Sure, it's voluntary, but "we have ways..."

EU's Internal market Commissioner (Thierry Breton) said “Twitter leaves EU voluntary Code of Practice against disinformation. But obligations remain. You can run, but you can’t hide. Beyond voluntary commitments, fighting disinformation will be legal obligation under #DSA as of August 25. Our teams will be ready for enforcement.

I read another article that said Musk would completely pull Twitter out of Europe if it offends them that much. From the article I just read:

An Epoch Times email that was sent to Twitter for comment was returned with an automated response that included a poop emoji. Musk announced earlier this year that the emoji would be sent automatically when journalists sent requests for comment.

11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds a bit childish to me.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

The poop emoji? Yeh, maybe. But even worse was putting up a curtain to block our view of the Grand Canyon because the Federal government shut down.

But I'm more concerned with the overt worldwide propaganda machine that represses free speech, that decides what "truth" is, and that tells us that we may only hear their message.

13. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I find it very distressing how so many so readily succumb to the MSM propaganda spewed daily. This has an interesting perspective. The left tends to be much more about how things make them feel than the right.

“To quote E.O. Wilson: “People would rather believe than know.” The propagandist’s appeal to emotion is therefore bound to find a more ready reception than the scientist’s appeal to reason. Emotional reactions easily drown out and overtake intellectual analysis and fact-based reasoning. That’s the psychological edge exploited by the propagandist.”

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/insight-therapy/201702/the-con-propaganda

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

Just as prevalent (or even more so) is the discomfort of conflict, even when it's between two other parties. Some people would rather see The Aggrieved submit than fight back, in this perverted view that it's not the aggressor who caused the conflict, it's the one who resists. But they lack the guts to stand up to the attacker, preferring to work on the party of least resistance. In fact, they will create conflict with The Aggrieved before they'll take on The Attacker.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have entered the Brave New World of Aldous Huxley.

Mary Stetler likes this.