Er And Hospital Admitted

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

There was an infection going in the extracted area and an abscess did show up on my gum next to one of the extracted teeth. That is why the teeth had to be extracted and not root canal/crowns done. No antibiotics were given me and that’s what wife and I wondered about. Young dentist (3 years in practice) told me I didn’t need any antibiotics. Don’t get that, but.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yvonne went to a dentist who didn’t give her antibiotics for an infection so she wound up going to the our primary doctor and was immediately prescribed the meds she needed.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I had an abscess a few years ago and the area of the bad tooth got swollen. The first thing the dentist did was to prescribe an antibiotic and I was told to come back in two weeks for a root canal which was successful.

Your dentist sucks. See what a lawyer says. It can't hurt (unlike what you went through).

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome back, Cody. What a nightmare.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I had a similar experience. A molar which had a root canal developed an abscess and I had to have it extracted. No antibiotics either. Seemed odd to me but I forgot to ask about it.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Although it's not appropriate in every case, there are good reasons for not giving antibiotics. The greatest reason is that they were vastly overprescribed in the past, leading people to view them as a cure for all that ails them. Due to the overuse of antibiotics, many of the more common antibiotics were made less useful because bacteria in the general population had developed resistance to them.

This has resulted in the mutation of formerly common strains of bacteria, forming bacteria that were resistant to all of the commonly produced antibiotics, requiring the formation of designer antibiotics for specific infections. In border areas, where people can cross the border into Mexico and buy antibiotics over the counter, drug-resistant bacteria have become common. I ran into that myself when I developed a bacterial infection during surgery for a strangulated hernia. I was hospitalized in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas for more than six weeks, being fed through a tube, while a designer antibiotic was developed for me, which was first given IV, then I had to take four per day for ten days, at $200 apiece. If you do the math, that was $800 a day just for antibiotics.

Due to the overprescription and overuse of antibiotics, doctors now have to account for antibiotic prescriptions. Whereas they used to prescribe an antibiotic just to see if it would work when they were unsure whether a problem was bacterial or viral, they are less likely to do that today.

So, unless there is a definitive diagnosis of a bacterial infection, doctors are less likely to prescribe an antibiotic today. Just as they are less likely to prescribe addictive pain relievers due to a greater likelihood of scrutiny, they are less likely to prescribe antibiotics.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson - All true, but I would think in case of a diabetic, there could be an exception. For over 40 years I had to take antibiotic, before seeing a dentist - even for cleaning. Once that theory was considered bunk, and no longer used on me, ironically and probably coincidentally, after last dental procedure had CHF. I have always wondered IF that could have contributed in any way. @Cody Fousnaugh , you could at least get another opinion from dentist as to what He would have done. I am not big on suing and causing a stir, but your suffering and should it get worse- needs compensation.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yeah, I can't speak to any specific case.

Faye Fox likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I doubt that hiring a lawyer would be anything but a waste of time and money. Medical/dental professionals always get signed releases before surgical-type procedures and it is extremely difficult to prove there was any malpractice. From what Cody says, his issue was dehydration and kidney failure, not an infection from the extractions... so an antibiotic wouldn't have helped anyway.

Have you been back for the followup tests, Cody?

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Perhaps the dentist decision not to use antibiotics for an abscess might have saved you from future dialysis, Cody.

Because your kidneys were failing, your system was not able to fight off the gum infection. Most dentist do not like giving a series of antibiotics for gum infections for the reason Ken explained.

Please note the 4 capsule bomb that dentist use before cleaning, is because cleaning releases bacteria into the blood system and while most people have no problem with this, folks with heart murmurs need this one time bomb massive dose to make sure that bacteria doesn't kill them. If a heart valve is working correctly, then this bacteria can't get back into the heart, but with a brief murmur malfunction, this bacteria can kill within minutes. This bomb is ineffective against an already existing gum infection.

Also note "bomb" antibiotics are never used for infections, just protection and prevention. Infections require a series of antibiotics and require the regimen be followed as prescribed. Resistances are built quick with improper antibiotic use. This is why the warning on all antibiotics clearly state to take the entire series even if you feel better the next day. Holding half the prescription back for a "rainy" day isn't a wise decision.

Had the dentist given you the antibiotic series used for gum infections, then there is a good chance your declining kidney function wouldn't have been found until it had gone too far and you were put on dialysis for life. That is what happened to Frank. He had no idea his kidneys were failing and then one day a serious sudden back ache and dialysis for life.

So the bright side Cody is you are now off blood pressure meds, you know you need to keep up your fluids up at a higher intake, and you are aware you have a kidney problem and may have caught it before dialysis was necessary.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

After the abscess showed up on my gum, next to one of the infected teeth, I was able to get into the dentist within two days. He put some kind of infection killer on it and then, after further examination, told me that he couldn’t do the root canals/crowns now. Both teeth had to be extracted. About a week after extractions is when my heath started really going down hill. I was able to see the dentist again and he told me the extracted area was healing nicely, but due to very little eating, my stomach had shrank quite a bit. He also told me that if my health continued to decline, go to ER for IV Therapy. I got the IV, but due to kidney did function, was immediately admitted to hospital.
    At home, I was eating canned soup, not realizing the amount of sodium I was taking in. After a week of eating soup, I pretty much lost my entire appetite. Was drinking water, but (apparently) not nearly enough.

I was scheduled to get a deep cleaning this coming week (same dentist), but had to cancel.

My wife takes me to my VA Doctor appointment this Thursday AM to discuss my hospital stay, etc.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Update: Trying very hard to not go back to hospital and “so far, so good”. Because of drinking so much water, I don’t get a full night of sleep at all. Go to bed around 9 or 10 and up and urinating at 2AM. Try to get back to sleep, but just can’t. Plus, continue to urinate often. My wife isn’t getting much sleep either, so we sleep in our recliners when we can.

Our diet has changed tremendously as well. Have to pretty much eat “kidney friendly” foods, something we definitely aren’t use to.

Luckily, I only have to use a cane to get around. Our new fold-up walker and tub/shower chair came in yesterday, but don’t have to use either.
    Trying to figure out if we can keep our boat or sell it. Don’t really want to sell it, but if I can’t physically do anything on it, will have to.

My wife fully thinks we will still move later this summer. She told me “no way are we staying here another winter. Don’t know how we will make the move, but she is very confident we will.

So, that’s it for now.

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh - please continue to keep us posted. Deep down we do care Cody. Hugs for you both and so glad you have her to help you.

Don Alaska, Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Boy, you're not kidding there!

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, will keep everyone informed of how I'm doing. My wife goes to grocery store today to get food that is "kidney friendly" for me.