Ever Use One Of These?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Dave Sun, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

image.jpeg i did. In 1956, the Army sent me to California from Syracuse, NY. I had recently married and my wife would be joining me after I got things settled. These insurance machines sold a large amount of life insurance for a small amount of cash. Usually $1.50 or less. They were in all the large airports at the time.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

[QUOTE="Dave Sun, post: 75373, member: 82..... i did. In 1956, the Army sent me to California from Syracuse, NY. I had recently married and my wife would be joining me after I got things settled. These insurance machines sold a large amount of life insurance for a small amount of cash. Usually $1.50 or less. They were in all the large airports at the time.[/QUOTE]

I remember them! I figured if the insurors were so certain the likelihood of a crash was near-zero, they could well-afford to sell cheap insurance. Wonder if anyone ever cashed-in from one of these policies? Frank

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

John M. Shaheen was founder of Tele-Trip Insurance, the vending machines that used to sell life insurance in airports throughout North America.

WARNING:
    “Do Not Purchase More Than a Total of $62,500 Principal Sum - Nor for Travel on Other Than Scheduled Air Carriers. This Policy Covers on One-Way Trip Only Unless Round Trip Ticket Is Purchased Before Departure."

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

No I hadn't seen any of those machines when I was traveling. I went to CA, Japan and outer island and I have never seen any of those machines at the Honolulu International Airport when I was going to travel from the airport. I guess by the time I started traveling they were not around in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't remember if I saw them in airports or in movies. My first flight was in the early 1970s, so I'm thinking it might have been in movies. They were familiar to me, though.