Fake Photos

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This one of the actor who played the president of the Ukraine on television, and then was elected to actually be the president. He is portrayed as being a patriotic soldier in this picture, but the picture is not from now, it is an old one and might even have been from a movie that he was in, like some of the other pictures and videos are from.

127D5FFE-1902-4DD7-A08C-6C352468F8A5.jpeg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

This tender scene is also actually from a movie.

756970E2-53E7-420B-ACDB-37962FD73F38.jpeg

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw that picture that had a related story of Justin Trudeau in hiding.

4. Yvonne Smith

5. Yvonne Smith

6. Yvonne Smith

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Army volunteers training with wooden rifles in Ukraine’s capital, Kiev

[​IMG]

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

So the insinuation is that there is no war in Ukraine? I don't get it.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

It is hard to say what is truly going on, @Beth Gallagher , and it is very frustrating. The pictures and videos show all kinds of narratives, and it is hard to know what is actually happening over there. I personally do believe that Russia is invading Ukraine, and I don’t understand why we can’t see just real information, and not stuff that is fabricated.
    One video I watched shows the staging of cameras to film the people who are fleeing down the street, and it looks like it would be done in an actual movie. The people are all gathered and waiting until the camera men tell them to go, and then the scene is filmed of the people fleeing down the street and right in front of the camera.

I don’t remember anymore what it was, but a year or so ago, they used film from a rifle exposition of some kind in Kentucky or Tennessee, and the news said it was an attack happening somewhere.

One side of the Ukraine story shows people trying to fight the Russians, other pictures shows them dancing in the streets because Russia is liberating them from the Nazi-type of government. The video of Putin speaking, he is asking the people to talk with him and not let the Nazi’s use their women, children and elderly as shields , which sounds like he does care about the people.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry, but if Putin the Humanitarian "cares about people," he wouldn't be bombing them.

I don't disagree that there are plenty of fake photos/videos in circulation, but I don't believe the mess in the Ukraine is "fake news."

Ed Wilson and Shirley Martin like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

When you look at the pictures posted on the news, there are all different kinds of backgrounds, some looking like winter and some like summer, some like mountains, and some like desert. One that I saw had bright green summertime grass.
    This one turns out to be from Palestine several years ago, and definitely not in the middle of winter.

1F7B8391-C307-4B7D-9E13-589D65899846.jpeg

12. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The war is real and that's all that really matters.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, I have to agree Ed but the thread is about Fake Photos for which all the most recent wars are inundated with by some very nefarious reporters.

I do not have access to them but during the Vietnam war and when I did a short stint in Bien Hua, I received a newspaper AP article with pictures that said that we had been over-run by the VC.
    We had been damaged during TET but over-run? Not by a LONG shot but the picture I saw made me wonder how many parents had seen it and worried that their sons had perished in an action that didn’t really happen the way it was portrayed by the press.

14. Yvonne Smith

This thread is actually not about whether the war is real or not, or who is right or wrong; we have other threads about the Ukraine to discuss that . This thread is about all fake pictures and videos from the news sources, and right now, most of those happen to be about what is happening in the Ukraine.
    My objection is that when we are fed fake information, it is almost impossible to determine what the real truth is, regardless of what that information is about. We have seen the same thing happen with weather reports, and many other things.
    Seeing pictures from several years ago that have nothing to do with what is happening now, but are portrayed as current news, is something that our news services should never be doing.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Newspapers, and even television, rather than spending the money to have cameramen on the scene, have taken to searching for photos to represent the story they are publishing. I know that I mentioned in this forum, although not necessarily in this thread, that one of the larger newspapers (probably the New York Times or the Washington Post) published a photo that purported to be a scene of an Occupy or Antifa protest in Arizona, only the police in the photo could be seen to be wearing NYC police uniforms when the digital photo was blown up, although it was apparently obscured in the print copy. Rather than flying a photographer to Arizona or paying someone who was actually there, they just picked up a generic protest photo and used that instead.

The US press has always had problems, but I can remember a scandal once that involved a photo published by a newspaper in which someone had edited out some power lines from the photo, just to make for a nicer picture, and that turned into a scandal because photos were supposed to be published as they actually were if the publication was to be trusted. Now, it doesn't matter because it's all fake news, even the pictures.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.