Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both ?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Priscilla King

Priscilla King Veteran Member
    Registered

I usually read children's fiction or adults' nonfiction...but I read a little of almost everything, and blog about it. Just finished posting a series about the first four volumes of Maya Angelou's memoirs. Tomorrow's review will be "Sweet Revenge" by Gina Barreca, a collection of reportedly true anecdotes.

Susan Long likes this.
  2. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

My choice is fiction. I love crime and suspense and most any author will do so long as he has an ability to capture me within a few pages. When I need to find some non-fiction to write articles for clients then I hit the internet for facts that I don't know.
    I do, however, have a Buddhism and other Eastern spiritual library which I am usually re-reading.

3. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoy fiction. I'm a big fan of Harry Potter movies and generally I like reading about fictional worlds and fictional characters.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I read both fiction and non-fiction. I suppose I read whatever interest me. I spent a couple hours in Barnes & Noble this afternoon in OKC. I bought one Bargain Priced book, and browsed a lot and had a good coffee. Was kinda fun.

Yvonne Smith and Richard Paradon like this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Priscilla King, Feb 10, 2015 said this:
    I usually read children's fiction or adults' nonfiction...but I read a little of almost everything, and blog about it. Just finished posting a series about the first four volumes of Maya Angelou's memoirs. Tomorrow's review will be "Sweet Revenge" by Gina Barreca, a collection of reportedly true anecdotes.

Ms King, did you post these on your blog? If so I would really read about Maya Angelou if you wouldn't mind sharing your blog. Thanks.

6. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Fiction all the way. I strongly believe that books, such as movies and even video games (to an extent) are there to let us experience things we wouldn't be able to experience in our boring, mundane lives. That's why I read: to escape reality, not to learn more about it.

7. Bill Boggs

Registered

I withdraw both the question and the statement on my previous post, with apologizes.

8. Scott Laughlin

Scott Laughlin Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wow, you and you

9. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Lately I've enjoyed reading memoirs = non fiction but with the storytelling flare of a novel. Madeleine Albright's Prague Winter was excellent, I thought. Entertaining was Born with Teeth by Kate Mulgrew. Michelle Obama's Becoming was also quite interesting.

I read non fiction, business oriented, how to books for a long time, and spent years blogging how and why to articles for my clients. I feel done with non fiction right now, except for the craft of writing itself. Now that I'm in retirement and returning to my first love of writing, I'm reading much more fiction -- fantasy (Lackey, Rowling), historical fiction / erotic romance (Jenkins, Gabaldon) light /humorous mystery (Andrews).