Fluctuating Blood Pressures

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the most important things to remember about blood pressure is that it's the changes that matter. By that, I don't mean the fluctuations that occur throughout the day, every day, but changes in your average blood pressure. That should never be determined by one blood pressure reading at a doctor's office. My regular doctor left town and her replacement wanted to put me on medication for high blood pressure because of one reading that was taken at the office, and that's the kind of thing that leaves me wondering whether I can trust anything she says. As I demonstrated there in the office, a second reading taken ten minutes later was well within normal levels. However, if I start to see more highs than lows, then that might be worth looking into, but I still wouldn't jump to medication as the first choice in a solution.

Another significant thing is to look at what's normal for you. By that, I don't mean that if you have dangerously high blood pressure, it's okay because you always have dangerously high blood pressure. What I mean is that no one number can represent a normal blood pressure for everyone on the planet. The very idea that they change that number from time to time should tell us that.

Until the late 1990s, as I mentioned in a post above, my normal blood pressure was far lower than what was considered a normal blood pressure. For me, a blood pressure of 80/48 wasn't anything to worry about because that was my regular blood pressure at a time when I was healthy. I didn't get dizzy when I stood up quickly, and there were no signs of symptoms that would indicate hypotension other than the numbers. My regular pulse rate was also low. At rest, it could go into the 40s. If I closed my eyes and did a meditation thing while they were taking my vital signs, I might have a blood pressure of 80/46 and a pulse rate of 46. I could have fun with new doctors, and my EMT students would usually give the wrong number when I asked them to check my vital signs. They'd figure that couldn't be right and add 20 points to the figures.

Although our blood pressures fluctuate throughout the day, changes in the trend can be important. When I was a paramedic and a trauma patient had a blood pressure of 110/70 the first time I checked it, I wouldn't be alarmed but I would consider that this was a number that was lower than what was the norm for most people. If I checked it again five minutes later and it was 100/60, I would be much more concerned, particularly if the injury was such that there could be internal bleeding. I would be concerned enough to be sure that I had a large-bore IV of LR going, although I wouldn't be running a lot of fluid in yet. If a third check came up with 108/70, I would be less concerned, but if that third check gave a lower reading, I'd start running some IV fluids in.

I would also ask the patient if he knew what his normal blood pressure was. Most people don't know, but some do, and that can be helpful. The average blood pressure of 120/80 or whatever it might be now is a helpful tool because most people can't tell you accurately what their average blood pressure is and because that would be an average blood pressure for most people, which is what "average" is all about, anyhow.

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

If your BP didn't fluctuate, you'd be a Medical Curiosity!

Hal

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Since starting chemotherapy, I have noticed a dramatic decrease in my blood pressure along with a raised heart rate. (Not sure how much of that is pure anxiety-driven.) I occasionally feel light-headed which concerns me a bit. I decided to start tracking my BP/heart rate/oxygen levels daily to see what is happening. I have two wrist BP monitors and a regular cuff monitor. I was using the wrist monitors because they are convenient to use; unfortunately I found that they are wildly inaccurate. :rolleyes:

I got a few low readings from both wrist monitors, so I dragged out the cuff to recheck. There is a 20+ point difference between the wrist monitor (low) and the cuff (slightly high). I don't really trust either device, but I tend to have a bit more confidence in the arm cuff monitor. Since my anxiety level with a cancer diagnosis has been off the chart, I have had some very high BP readings lately so the low readings are puzzling.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is tough, @Beth Gallagher. fluctuating readings will only make your anxiety worse. Mention it when you see your oncologist next. It may be a known side effect of the chemo regimen you are on. I guess it could be related to electrolytes that could be easily remedied.

Frank Sanoica and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, Don. I did mention it to my oncologist after my 2nd treatment; he said that it is not unusual to have fluctuating heart rate and blood pressure during treatment. I just want to make sure things don't "fluctuate" into dangerous territory. I have noticed my resting heart rate has crept up as well.

6. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Did anyone ever give you the right explanation ?

Most would not, because either they truly did not know , or because of huge liability.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No.

8. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Did you search for the cause yourself ?

p.s. do you want to know ?

9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a woman come up because we have [many] blood pressure machines and my wife took her blood pressure it was very high I ask the woman if she would do an experiment she said yes. I had my daughter teach her a relaxing technique because her Spanish was better than mine after ten minuets her pressure was in a normal range. She was shocked and I told her that she did it and not a drug but her. I told her she should use that technique two or three times a day for twenty minuets.

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  10. Jeff Elohim

Registered

The causes of problems were known well before 1950, then made illegal for the so-called "professionals" to talk about (including doctors).
    It is so simple, people deny it, refusing to believe that their own parents and lifetime of doctors all lied to them.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Here's something that is bugging me (yeah...it's always something. :D) I asked my doctor yesterday whether the various equipment in all the MDA facilities are kept calibrated. I told him that in some locations (League City), when I go there for chemo my blood pressure is ALWAYS high. Like 160/90 or thereabouts. But when I'm at Mays Clinic where he is located, my BP yesterday was 123/80 before chemo. That just seems weird to me. Also, I get weighed, my temperature taken, and a blood oxygen level is read, sometimes several times a day if I have different appointments. Each time, all of them vary, sometimes significantly. The most worrisome is the BP; though I realize it does fluctuate from minute to minute I expect it to be in the same "ballpark."

He couldn't comment on the calibration though. :D

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Some stuff is difficult to calibrate, but, in my experience, nurses and MAs aren't worried about accuracy. If they get a number, they are fine whether the number is correct or not. Doctors are almost as bad, but they can get hung for bad decisions. Even simple POC glucose meters are often not controlled or calibrated properly, depending on what CLIA number they are listed under. In most cases, you can ask for a manual BP, and, if the user is skilled, it will be accurate. You may also be more at ease in one facility than the other, which would affect your BP, of course.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The irritating thing to me is that accurate or not, those are carefully noted in my "patient history" forever. I don't know why they have gotten away from manual BP reading, but every location has those stupid machines now. Those things pump the cuff to the point of PAIN, and I have read that over-inflation gives faulty readings.

Ken Anderson and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

To get blood pressure correct you need the right size cuff for the arm I have four all sizes from babies to large people
    and a stethoscope I also have two auto machines but for accuracy I rely on the stethoscope.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yesterday the nurse tried to put a cuff on me and it was too big; the machine started beeping an error until she changed the cuff. I know they are overworked, but it was obvious the cuff was wrapping too far around my arm.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.