Foods That Make You Go Ewwww

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 5, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You don't like see food?

2. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

NO eyeballs. Largest fish I have ever had was baked RAT RED common from the Gulf of Mexico. It was really good. Once there were a couple large fishing piers in Galveston in the 70s, you could fish from the piers and it was open 24 hours a day but you had to pay for what you caught. I never fished but would go out to the end of the pier and watch the waves come in and lap the bottom of the pier when it was high tide. I almost lost my Truck once on a night excursion of the beach. Tide hadn't come in yet and I was way out there not knowing how dangerous it was but I had a lot of friends with me and they got out and waded the water to find the lowest water point so I could drive out without getting stuck. I made it out and also had a good lesson in how to tell time by the Tide. When I was a young boy the beach before the paved highway blvd had a road running straight to the beach and there were a lot of old cars sticking out of the sand and they were way up on the dry side of the beach. The new Blvd paved and cleaned up all that area so all those old cars have been gone for 50 years. There were several heavy caliber cannons in large bunkers during WWII and they were all destroyed the past 50 years but one and it was on a property some hotel bought so they agreed to let the bunker itself stay but it is all grass overgrown. Galveston has always been a military garrison but most people don't know the history of Galveston. The actual base still has many standing buildings from a century ago and it would be hard to pick them out because they have been maintained and kept nice. In WWII the naval base had a school for a lot of professions for the military services. I met a old guy who was a WWII vet and he took training there in Galveston as camera technician for the cameras on the P-38s. He told me after WWII he had never been back to Galveston. The airfield is still there in Galveston. A bit small but not so small in WWII. I saw the strangest photo about a year ago of Galveston after the great hurricane. They were raising all the property near the low land or beach side. They did it without modern equipment and used mules and horses for the heavy lifting. It was amazing in that they dug down under all the existing buildings that survived and made brick pylons to mount the homes on to raise them, they would fill in under and around the homes and that is how they accomplished a very amazing task. So the photo I saw was a man and a little one horse wagon selling coffee on one block under construction. I thought about it for a minute and said to myself I just saw the first Roach Coach. :D I love to look back at historical events of our Nation.

John Brunner likes this.