From A Wide Spot In The Road

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Some have asked, 'Can a women beat Trump?' And other democrats say they don't think it is worth the risk to pick a woman to run against Trump.
    The answer is, of course, no a woman can not beat Trump. Neither can a black candid, and it is doubtful any candidate can or will beat Trump. He
    will probably get enough votes to win on his own this time. And then there's that Electoral College who we never know what they will do.

2. Bill Boggs

Registered

Lunch was so good. I ate half of a ribeye steak, some soft baked french fries, and a big helping of broccoli. Broccoli tasted a little green. A cup of coffee left over from
    breakfast. I think when i go to the store myself like next week, I'm going to get some chocolate covered grahams. I've got a half cup cold, black coffee and about
    ten-twelve animal cookies that are ten to twelve weeks old and while writing this will duck them in the coffee. Mybe there's enough to satify my sweet-tooth.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs , some people like broccoli crispy but I don't. I want it cooked to what my son calls a "Cush." He wants his crispy. I've never seen chocolate covered graham crackers. Have I missed something special? If it has chocolate, it must be good. ;)

Unless something awfully, terribly bad happens to the economy, Trump will be difficult to defeat in 2020. Even in my part of the country, jobs are coming back. It's the first time in a long time that that has happened.

4. Bill Boggs

Registered

That's a good sign, the economy.

5. Pam Sellers

Pam Sellers Veteran Member
    Registered

Bill, sounds like you are on the mend....rib eye steak? That is the best cut of meat. And broccoli is my personal favorite veggie! And yes, Keebler Chocolate covered grahams are hard to beat, especially if you keep them in the fridge so they get cold! Please keep getting better!

Bill Boggs and Nancy Hart like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I watched Ron Chernow's speech last night at the White House Correspondents Dinner. One line caught my attention ...

"Toward the end of the Civil War, the chastened, but still hopeful, Abraham Lincoln, sat around a Virginia campfire with his chief general Ulysses Grant, and Lincoln quoted his Secretary of State, William Seward, as saying,

'There is always just enough virtue in this Republic to save it, sometimes none to spare, but still enough to meet the emergency.' "

Chris Ladewig and Bill Boggs like this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

8. Bill Boggs

Registered

i'm going for a pedicure in the morning. I can't cut my toenails anymore and it is cheaper than going to a pediatrst for a toe job.

9. Bill Boggs

Registered

The older I get the more I realize
    there's nothing better than taking
    a Big Poop.

Have you read PostSecrets?

10. Bill Boggs

Registered

Yep
    Yep, tomorrow I'm going to the store for a brief shop. This time I'm going to pick up two packs of these cookies. I think they're some of that good. I never thought of chilling them. I'm going to try that. Thanks.

11. Bill Boggs

Registered

Yes, ma'am, Keebler's Chocolate Grahams. I didn't remember their name but Pap put in on paper and i copied it for you here.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm going to buy some of those. I'm still eating low carb but it's worth the sacrifice for a treat that good. :)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  13. Bill Boggs

Registered

In earlier times old man Hollister Almond panned for gold in many of northern Idaho’s creeks and rivers. He never told anyone about his endeavors except his granddaughter, Allison, and he didn’t tell her about discovered gold. What he did say was, she should come out west,

and raise her family in some of the best country in God’s creation. She should get away from the city with its hustle and bustle and harsh atmosphere.

Part of the family thought Hollister Almond was crazy. Most never heard much of anything from him after he went out west. Hollister was a loner, a never-do-well who would never about to much of anything except a drifter and railroad bum.

Hollister’s only son, Braydon Almond, made his mark with a brokerage firm then accepted a position as Vice-president, managing the bank’s investments and has done well. He had put his daughter through years of college. They had a falling out when she would not consider her dad’s insistence she take a Master’s in business or economics and when she would not consider her dad’s pick for a possible marriage, would not even date the man, he cut off all funds and support to her. Told her hatred to help her but she wouldn’t listen. He told her she was on her own.

Allison worked four years for a law firm part-time while getting a law degree. Afterward she continued working for the firm. One morning when she came to work her boss asked her to take on another case. An associate had fallen ill and would she take over his case? She could have said no but that would have put a negative mark on her record with the firm, so why not. She could handle it. She asked an assistant to handle the case she had been working on, who eagerly agreed.

The case she was taking over for an ill associate was in its later stages. Allison reviewed the case. The city wanted another three hundred hundred acres to expand a park and include a golf course. Her firm’s position was only an advisory role to give legal advice and assistance if necessary and to help avoid any embarrassing mistakes or errors. Leslie assisted with the summation which was mostly already written. Allison finished the summation, went over it with the mayor and the city attorney. The opposing side presented several objections but the judge rejected them. City wins. Case closed.

But for Alison it wasn’t. She learned the properties the city claimed for a park expansion had numerous families who had nowhere else to go. Two small firms closed down because they couldn’t afford rent in other parts of the city. This is not fun lawyering. Actually, Alison was sick over it. Alison resigned her position with the law firm and give two weeks noticed. She was dismissed immediately. She took a cab home and realized on the way she would no longer be able to afford the apartment. Although she needed a job and no longer had one, she felt a sense of relief and freedom at leaving this firm.

At home, not sure what she was going to do or what she could do, she poured herself a gin tonic. No need to worry about any thing until the end of the month. She had some small savings but not enough to live very long without bringing in some income. At any rate she would need a cheaper apartment. Philadelphia was growing and properties and rents were shooting sky high. She’d have to pack up. She had boxes she had not opened since moving into this place. And she remembered a small box or package she had received from her grandfather in Oregon or somewhere out west. Now thinking about him she wondered why he stopped writing. What was in the package? Did she open it? She didn’t remember. She wondered about that now and why had he stopped writing. She finished her drink and went to bed.

She awoke next morning to the ringing of her phone. It was her dad.

“What trouble are you in now,” he asked. “Some lawyer has been trying to get in touch with you. Do you need some help? If so, we can talk about it. You know where to reach me. Here’s the attorney’s phone number.”

Ashley didn’t recognize the 208 area code. She dressed for work, made breakfast, poured another cup of coffee and went into her office. She picked up the phone and dialed the number. One, two, three rings. On the seventh ring someone picked up.

“Hello,” he said in a soft voice.

“Yes, hello. Who am I speaking with, please?”

“Who did you wish to speak with,“ the soft voice asked?

“I had a call from someone named Jacobi Birdfeather. I wish to speak with him.”

“Yes, how can I help you? Are you per chance Ms Almond?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Ms Almond what I am about to say to you, I was instructed to say by my client and friend, Hollister Almond. He left you some property and he wanted you to come here and decide whether you wanted to keep it or sell it. I have some personal effects he left. He has arranged funds to pay for your trip here and return if you wish it that way. Can you possibly find a way to come here?”

“He’s dead, then?”

“Yes, almost three years now. Hollister died in a blizzard up near a national forest. He wasn’t found for months.”

“Still, that’s a long time, don’t you think, to wait to call a relative after his death?”

“Indeed it is, but I was following you grandfather’s wishes,” the attorney went on, “You have a birthday this month. You grandfather left instruction to call you a few days before your birthday and to tell you if you came out to Idaho, he has a birthday present for you. You will be twenty-five this month, won’t you?” It would be nice on your birthday but I understand arrangements are sometime hard to arrange with a family and work and all.

“Mr Birdfeather, I was fired from my job yesterday. This is an excellent time to take a few days off. I’ll make arrangements and call you when I know. Is that all right?”

“I’ll be expecting your call soon,” the attorney replied. Allison hung up, her mind racing.

Then she thought again of the package her grandfather had sent her. She rummaged thru closets until she found a manila envelope with her name on it. and only an address in the top left corner. Banners Ferry, Idaho. It had never been opened. The postmark was almost four years earlier. She opened the envelope at her breakfast table. The envelope was dusty, its ink faded. She cut it open with her scissors. Inside was a note and a number ten envelope sealed up. The note read, in case you have to get out of some guy’s car and catch a cab home. Here’s some cab fare money. Enjoy.

Hollis

Enclosed was a five hundred dollars.

To be continued.

Babs Hunt and Ken Anderson like this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Registered

About the Author [​IMG]Paulette Jiles i
    I'm a novelist and poet. Her best-selling novels include Enemy Women, Stormy Weather and The Color Of Lightning. She won Canada’s highest award for poetry, The Governor General’s Award. She graduated from the University of Missouri in Romance Languages. She lives near San Antonio, Texas. Agent is the superlative Liz Darhansoff; editor, the incomparable Jennifer Brehl. Paulette’s publisher for News of the World, Lighthouse Island, Stormy Weather, Enemy Women and Color of Lightning is Harper Collins

I've been reading this authors blog. She seems a cool lady and has an interesting resume she brings to her writing.

Today I have spent most of the day writings. It hasn't risen to the level of acceptability but I enjoy pounding the keys. I don't play golf, I don't hunt nor fish, I don't attend church, my mobility is limited, so I pound the keys. It do keep my mind active and out of my roommate's hair. I may even start watching pro football again next fall. In my part of the world, there are good number of Cowboy fans. I used to be a be a Coybow fan. Had a falling out with Jerry Jones. Now I learn Clif Kingsbarry has been hired by Arizona. And he has drafted an Oklahoma quarterback. If he has a defense that's worth its salt, Arizona should be fun to watch. Of course he'll run an air raid offense. It will take a while to build. We've had storms all evening. Lots of rain. My weeds in the back yard are likely to get out of hand. It's been a long day. Good night world.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  15. Bill Boggs

Registered

I want to say a big thank you to those you have befriended, me as it were, here on the forum.
    I am ending my participation for aThomas Payne, a free thinker. I quite liked his writings. He
    did not do well in this country because of the religious bigotry, much of which abounds today.
    I have a number of projects I want to finish and I may start another blog. I am of a certain age
    where the mine field is more precarious. The blog might take a lone soul through that crowded
    area and record periodically an ending of life. I have some stories for my grandkids I want to
    edit and rewrite. Thanks to Ken for not banning me again. Sevral months back it might have
    hurt. Good luck to all of you. May the Great Spirit smile on you path. Shirley, I hope you enjoy
    those cookies. If any of you have any last words, although I can't imagine you would, My email is:
    firstsooner@gmail.com.

Yvonne Smith likes this.