From A Wide Spot In The Road

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Writing out our stories for family is one of the most important things that any of us can do, in my opinion, @Bill Boggs , and I think that it is good that you are going to put that as a foremost project in your life.
    All the same, when you have some spare time, I am hoping that you come back to the forum and visit with us, because you are a good friend to all of us here, and we are going to really miss you a LOT !

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs

Bill, a "wide spot in the road" .is for both passing and turning around. ;) I hope you will turn around, come back soon, and share with us some of the stories you write for your grandkids.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Pam Sellers

Pam Sellers Veteran Member
    Registered

Bill, I am going to miss you! I have so many issues going on here at home, it is refreshing to read your posts. Take care my friend and check back here from time to time. We all need each other!

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you much, Frank. He had so much to go wrong he couldn't possibly reccover. He died three weeks to the day he went intothe hospital to be treated for pneumonia.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

@Bill Boggs, whenever - if ever - you decide to come back, you'll be welcome. I have enjoyed your posts, but you'd be welcome back even if I didn't.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thank you, Ken. I am back. I had some personal problems to attend. I appreciate your comment.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Registered

Just thinking out loud here but someone i have admired is Rupert Murdoch. He was not a poor boy
    but he took his talents and did well with them. He did not follow his father's advice. Down Under in
    Australia and New Zealand. He bought up some newspapers, turned them into a dominate force in
    the Down-Under countr with some good effort to go with his business acumen. His English holding
    have had some recent rough spots, he lost money and prestge with some, made money on others
    but stayd in the game, done well, and made money.

He bought some Canadian assets and some America newspapers. The first thing he bought in the USA
    was a little San Antonio paper. Establishing a hold in this country he has aquired many buys:

What does Rupert Murdoch own? A little bit of everything
    Anita Balakrishnan, USA TODAYPublished 6:59 p.m. ET June 11, 2015
    TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
    Media magnate Rupert Murdoch got his start in a chain of Australian newspapers. But few consumers realize today how expansive his empire has become.

With 84-year-old Murdoch handing over control of daily operations at 21st Century Fox to his son James it's worth taking a look at what, exactly, fell under Murdoch's control this year. Below are holdings in which Murdoch's two big companies, 21stCentury Fox and News Corp, hold significant stakes, according to SEC annual report filings for 2014.

21st Century Fox

Cable

• Fox News (Fox News Sunday, Fox News Edge, Fox News Radio Network)
    • Fox Business Network
    • FSN – Fox Sports Net Inc. (National Sports Programming, Yankees Entertainment, Fox Sports Go)
    • Fox Sports 1
    • Fox Sports 2
    • SPEED
    • Fox College Sports
    • Fox Soccer Plus
    • Big Ten Network
    • FX (and FXnow online)
    • FXX
    • FXM
    • National Geographic U.S.
    • FIC (Fox International Channels) (including Fox Channel, Fox Life, Fox Crime, FOX Traveller, Voyage Channel, STAR World, STAR Movies and Chinese channels, National Geographic HD, Nat Geo Adventure Channel, Nat Geo Wild, Nat Geo Music, NGC Network International, Elite Sports Limited, Baby TV, Fox Sports Latin America, MundoFox Broadcasting, Eredivisie Media and Marketing, Channel V Thailand, CJ E&M Korea, Fox Sports Japan)
    • STAR India (International Cricket Council matches, Asianet Communications, Vijay Television Private Limited, Balaji Telefilms Limited)
    • Rotana (operates in the Middle East)
    • Moby Group Holdings
    • Fox Sports Asia
    • Phoenix Satellite Television Holdings (operates in China)
    • PT Visi Media Asia (operates in Indonesia)
    Television

• Fox Television stations (WNYW, WWOR, KTTV, KCOP, WFLD, WPWR, WTXF, KDFW, KDFI, WFXT, WTTG, WDCA, WAGA, KRIV, KTXH, WJBK, KSAZ, KUTP, WTVT, KMSP, WFTC, WOFL, WRBW, WJZY, WMYT, KTBC, WHBQ, WOGX)
    • FOX Broadcasting Company
    • MyNetworkTV distribution service
    Film

• Twentieth Century Fox Film (Fox 2000, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox Animation, Fox International Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment)
    Production

• Twentieth Century Fox Television productions
    • Fox 21 Inc.
    • Twentieth Television
    • FtvS (Fox Television Studios)
    • Shine Limited
    • All films in the Fox Library
    Broadcast

• Sky Italia
    • Sky Deutchland
    Other

• BSkyB (U.K.)
    • Hulu (30% stake)
    • Tata Sky
    • Bona Film Group
    • CMC-News AsiaVice Holding (Vice News)
    News Corp.

News and Information

• Dow Jones (Wall Street Journal, CIO Journal, CFO Journal, CMO Journal and international WSJ editions, Wall Street Journal Digital Network, Factiva, DJ Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, Barrons, MarketWatch, Dow Jones Private Market, DJX)
    • News Corp Australia (The Australian, The Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun, The Courier Mail, The Advertiser, taste.com, CareerOne.com, Busienss Spectator, Eureka Reports, carguide.com, FOX SPORTS PULSE, and local dailies)
    • News UK (The Sun, The Times)
    • New York Post
    • News America Marketing (SmartSource inserts)
    • Storyful
    Cable Network Programming

• Fox Sports Australia
    • Digital Real Estate Services
    • REA Group (digital advertising, international versions of Realestate.com, Realcommercial.com, myfun.com, AtHome.com, Atoffice.com)
    Book Publishing

• HarperCollins
    Digital Education

• Amplify (Amplify Insight, Amplify Learning, Amplify Access)

Rupert has since sold a bunch of his US holdings but he has money in his pockets and all of the Fox holdings. I believe he will one day
    or one of his sons will step in and and do a number on Fox News and straighten out the Fox News part of his owning and make it an
    honorable network. He will rid himself of Hannidy and some of the more rigid right wingers. Regardless he is an astute business man.
    Politically I have seen him swing both ways, donating heavily to Democrats, covering his bases. I like this man and he is a hands on
    business-man. And even hough most of his six children are involved somewhere in his businesses, Rupert runs the show. One can
    admire a person like this. I wish him continued success.

9. Bill Boggs

Registered

I have given my iPad to my roommate. I have a desktop Mac but I mostly use iPads. What this does is leave me with a mini iPad that doesn't work very well.
    For instance I can not view CNN, NBC, ABC, Fox News or any large network programs. They keep telling me there was a problem so they were restarted.
    Do this four times and they shut down. I've had it about a year or so. It was one of those that Apple had gone though and repaired and then sold you in place of
    replacing the glass or something on your old iPad. It's supposed to be a reconditioned. I paid big bucks for it but it has always had these problems. I reset it a
    time or two trying to make it more reliable. It is a very old mini-iPad. Someone else bought it for me.

Not able to check the national news eacth morning. I started looking for news sources that would not react like some f the of national ssources. Almost all require you to pay a fee after a few readings. AP news seems
    to work good.. I have added San Antonio Express Tribune, that's the first paper in the US that Ruperyt Murdoch bought. He still owns it. I have added the
    Washington Times and the AP News seem to be the best, although the San Antonio Paper is pretty good wwith both local and national news.

I like to be informed and so far these stay on the page so you can read them. None of them have as much content as the large television news that keep restarting
    until the mini shuts down. And this mini handles Amazon kindle downloaded books with ease and easier to read, it is light weight and great to read in bed
    when day is done. Still looking ffor good content that will work on my mini.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

Mark Cubin said the other day, no one running on the democratic ticket can beat Trump. I tend to agree.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't think Mark Cuban is a big fan of Trump either, is he?

12. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Ken Anderson he has said he wasn't a fan of trumps and criticized the president on several occasions,
    and openly talked of running against Trump. He has wisely reconsidered that. I suppose I was pointing out
    one rich Republican agreed with me, which doesn't mean beans. I'm only a grain of sand, Mark Cubin
    owns a sand pile and a basketball team and influences several more people than do I.

13. Bill Boggs

Registered

Fighting Hate
    Teaching Tolerance
    Seeking Justice

Saw this on the front cover of an educator's laptop.
    Somehow it seems out of place like a bolo tie or a
    pair of cowboy boots.

14. Bill Boggs

Registered

I went shopping yesterday. I bought a roll of stamps and was surprised they had gone up again.
    A first class stamp will now cost you $.55 or 55.00 a roll. I pay the bills and keep a small ledger
    and
    buy a roll of postage about every seventy-five days. I may have to start having my bills paid.

For several weeks I have been thinking about another bi
    cycle. I had one several years ago and couldn't ride it.
    I'd get so short of breath I could no longer pedal the bike and would have to get off and rest awhile. Then I'd
    push it home. So.... I went out yesterday morning to buy postage and find a used bike. I had two options I knew
    about: Pawn Shops and the Salvation Army store. I went to Salvation Army first. They had two bikes, one for
    kids for Sears, the other an adult bike, seven speed. It looked like new except for the seat. It was forty bucks.
    I bought it. I was unable to load it into my trunk although my big ford has a roomy trunk. I wrestled with it for only
    a very few minutes and was out of air, paralyzed and couldn't move. Took about ten minutes to get my blood
    oxygen up to ninety. When i could again walk I went back in the store and asked if they had someone who could
    help me. The lady who sold me the bike said she would help me in a couple of moments. I couldn't help her. She
    loaded it by herself. I brused both arms and cut my wrist with my wrist watch trying to handle the bike.

I can not put a back rack on the bike and I hadn't noticed that until late yesterday evening. I called my so to come
    over and unload it for me. He said immediately, "You can't use that seat, it's too narrow and when you ori sit on it,
    it sits right up against your prostrate. It's a killer." So, I'll have to have a new, big seat and get a front basket to
    carry my oxygen generator.

My roommate's attitude was not so gentle. "You know you can't ride a bike but you're good at throwinbg money
    away" and on and on. I don't think she ever got to therd on. I told her I was going to try to ride it this summer and
    she said "You won't. I told her if i couldn't I'd give it to some kid but i wanted to try and this was the cost of trying.

I didn't tell her what happened latter ijn the night. Told no one. Went to bed around ten-thirty. Awoke at two thirty
    to go to the bathroom. We haven't turned the A/C on yet although the temp was almost ninety degrees yesterday.
    We have three fans we're using. The one in the bedroom sit on chest. I was cool and wanted tocut it off. I sit up on
    the side of the and immediately noticed I was dizzy and having a hard time breathing. I was afraid I could get to the
    chest to turn off the fan with out falling. I sit there a few minutes and decited to take my blood-oxygen. I stuck my
    finger in the thingy, and waited and waited. It finally said 63. My wife awoke and said maybe i needed to check my
    line again. I had fount cuts in the line in two or three places and all the oxygen was cleaking out befor it got to me.
    I said I would, and wasn't sure i coud make the bathroom before I fell. I made it into the bath room and thinking,
    I can't breathe. I osit there in my office chair, not thinking clearly trying to deside what i needed to do to check my
    oxygen line. I coun'tremember. I was thinking I need to hold on I'm going to fall out of this chair and looked over to
    my oxygen machine, It Was Off and had been off since my son went homethe previous even whe he unloaded my
    bike. Ah, that's my problem. I renched over to turn my oxygen machine on and fell on the floor.I was so lightheaded
    I could no longer see. The oxygen began to flow. About fifteen minutes later I was good as new except for some
    lighted headedness. I had to hold on to the wall to get back to bed. I sit on the sie of the bed until my breathing was
    no longer shallow and labored. I checked my blood oxygen, 70. I lay awake until my dizzyness went away and my
    blood oxygen read 92. I turned on my iPad and finished a western novel I had bneen reading some days ago. I went
    to sleep aound five-thirty, got up at seven-thirty, turned on my computer ready to start a new day. But in the wee
    hours it was a little scary.

15. Bill Boggs

Registered

I put out a small bird feeder this morning, about a third full, one of those globe type feeders with a small feeding trfey circling
    it. I sprinkled some on the ground for the doves and those birds too large to use the feeder. The blue jays were the first to
    arrive this morning the the papa cardinal next, then mama cardinal. A pair a pair of ring necked doves. the sparrow and finches.
    This time of year birds can generally find their own food but I put the feeder out for me. They are skittish and fly away when I
    go into the back yard. A squirrel also showed up. I have my binoculars handy here and a camera but its hard to get a photo
    from inside. Anywaay I generated a bunch of interested by putting out a small feeder. Way I'm going I may have to go out and
    eat with 'em.