Game Chat

Discussion in 'Games & Riddles' started by Louise Williams, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Today was also not the best day either.. I had an appointment in Sudbury at the hospital for a cystoscopy.. Not a pleasant event but it had to be done.. They found no polyps or problems which is good but I am still in discomfort..
    Now, as far as the patio work goes, I am somewhat a bit sore in mt thighs from working like that, but the job is finished and I now have a brand new floor on my patio which should last about 15 years like the other one did...

Shirley Martin likes this.
  2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Doesn’t your patio have a roof Steve ?

Our two outdoor area both have a roof and they are cement floors and while they can also deteriorate due to weather, it’s the norm in Australia to have concrete patio floors ( some tile them ) especially for more modern homes.

Home built in very hilly areas such as Sydney and Queensland will have wood slat patio floors but they are usually covered by a verandah / roof and treated with using a scrub and a sealant like a varnish once or twice a year to preserve the timber slats.

Think it s a very expensive way of having a patio in hilly areas as I believe it costs around $300 a year to maintain
    ( the cost of the chemicals to scrub and repaint the slats )

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Steve, as of today, our days start getting shorter. What time does the sun rise and set there? Won't be long before we are complaining about how short the days are. :) I much prefer the long days.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Nite nite, everybody.

5. Louise Miller

Louise Miller Supreme Member
    Registered

Night night miss Shirley, hope to see soon too, byee good-night-sweet-dreams.gif

6. Steve North

Registered

Shirley.. I just heard on the radio that the longest day up here was just under 18 hours of daylight.. something like 17 hours and 40 odd minutes.. now that makes for a long day of daylight...

Kate.. our patios are always made of wood and NEVER concrete as concrete will definitely crack with the winter cold.. To replace the deck floor wasn't that expensive either.. We don't apply anything on the wood either as it is a treated wood which will last up to 20 years outdoors.. The old floor lasted 18 years and it was not protected.. It is not practical to have a roof over a patio as the reason we have one is to have the openness and besides with the snow we get. it wouldn't last one winter.. If people want a roof over a patio, build a gazebo which some do.. My patio is 20 feet X 20 feet.....

7. Kate Ellery

Registered

Sound like a nice size Steve , our back verandah is 14 foot x 46 foot …I converted it to feet thanks to google :):)

so that covers back side of the house , it’s got trellis and pull down blinds so it’s sorta all fully enclosed , the blinds are like a shade cloth only tougher so they won’t tear in the wind …we can lift the up cause they are like huge roller blinds ….and we don’t get snow so we can have covered patios of verandah .

The other patio is on the side of our home near the car garage that’s 21x 21 feet
    When I get home towards the end of July I’ll take some photos .

Both verandahs are metal structures the roofs and poles holding them up .

Years ago we traveled through an area in New South Wales and all the homes have very funny angle shaped roofs due to snow
    in the area

8. Louise Miller

Registered

Good morning ya'll from the Hot Hot weather we are having latelly in the 90's. cannot stay outside too long and im not one who likes to get tanned, did that as a kid and was brown as a bear all summer lol.. and now i still have some freckles and brown spots on my skin and face from that sun damage..!!,, but luckily, i can use make up to hid the spots.!! and its all from being stupid and not using tanning lotion as a kid all those young years,,OYE!!

9. Steve North

Registered

Kate.. looks like there is a big difference in the patio thing.. It all depends on the type of weather one has to live with.. In my case, it is all one can do if the patio is above ground like mine which is about 3 feet above the ground to accommodate the entrance of the kitchen door..

10. Louise Miller

Registered

^^^Ours is the same too, Steve its very common around this neighborhood,, most everyone's the same size, some may be bigger too,,

11. Steve North

Registered

We had 3 days of steady rain and the next few days they are calling for more rain... We need it badly to prevent forest fires as the environment is dry.. The hot temperatures of last week are gone and we are more seasonal.. Low 20'sc during the day and mid teens c at night.. Great for sleeping ...

Louise Miller likes this.
  12. Louise Miller

Registered

This is the biggest and longest Heat wave we have had here steve since we moved here,upper 90's for about 3 weeks in a row now,, , our AC luckily is running good but our electric bills are not looking good thats for sure! hot, kay.gif

Kate Ellery likes this.
  13. Kate Ellery

Registered

We are experiencing the dryest year on record for lack of rain ….the farmers need sow crops ..so they can get money to spend
    to keep the economy going in our area …if the farmers don’t get any money ..they don’t buy huge machinery ….and if they don’t buy huge machinery the shops go broke …...so it puts people outta work ……so they can’t offered to spend money ……

and so it gos …money makes the world go around …

14. Steve North

Registered

That is the system everywhere.. We had the same thing this past winter with a lack of snow and freezing cold.. Our village suffered badly, but we are still around and we will be...............

15. Steve North

Registered

We are making plans to go out for dinner on our wedding anniversary which is on July 1st..
    It is also Canada day where there is lots of fireworks and celebrations..
    When I proposed to Annmarie, she told me "the next time I get married I want to see fireworks ans stars".. So we got married on Canada day... It will be our 27th anniversary...

Louise Miller and Kate Ellery like this.