Gardening, Flowers And Veggies, 2023

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I get wine-nee occasionally also.:)
    I watch a video clip about gardening on YouTube which I think might be interesting to put on SOC. I'm going to look for it and post it on this thread think that will be okay?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course! :D

3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know what's in the tube looks like toothpaste?
    They have other videos using similar technique for lemons and other vegetables.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Our gardens are still under many feet of snow, but I have onions, leeks, celery, peppers and some tomatoes started inside and on the light shelves. The greenhouses haven't thawed yet, although one got up to 31 F. on a sunny day.

Beth Gallagher and Tony Page like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that is toothpaste, I have seen videos of someone using toothpaste for starting plants, although I am not sure if it is real or not. this video looks faked to me. I have seen people put a slice of tomato and start seeds that way, and I have even done that; so I know it will work.
    This video shows a 6-7 inch plant with blossoms in two weeks (supposedly) and only one plant stem coming exactly out of the top. I think they poked a hole in the top of the tomato and stuck in a piece from a growing tomato plant. This tomato in the video still looks as fresh as it did when they started the video, not how it would look after sitting out . They might have poked the hole all the way through and used a young tomato start that had roots on it.
    People make a lot of money on youtube videos, whether they are real or fakes, and I think that this one is just to make money and not real. Unless we tried it, we won’t know for sure.

8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree too many things don't make sense they should have been multiple plants because there's multiple seeds. I also have started seedlings from harvested fruit or vegetables by drying the seeds and saving them for the following year. When I had the large garden I saved the spot for planting seeds from picked vegetables that were unedible because of insects or fungus. Many did produce before the end of the growing season.
    I might try this because I'm curious even though it seems unrealistic. We'll see if curiosity kills the cat.

9. Barb Eree

Barb Eree Member
    Registered

Started my Brandywine tomatoes in a small green house with grow lights. They won't go into the hothouse for another 6 weeks but they take longer than some to produce. Its a while yet to trust the weather but it's exciting to plan the garden for sure.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hello @Barb Eree and welcome! Nice to have another gardener on the forum. What area do you live in? I'm in Texas (near Houston), so it's just about springtime.

11. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Hello Barb welcome to the Forum.
    Brandywine is an excellent heirloom tomato, mine were always very meaty and delicious.
    My favorite heirloom tomato is one called Delicious, it was the largest tomato I've ever grown one weigh in at close to 3 lb, it was planted on Virgin soil, that was a long time ago.
    Enjoy your garden and you're pickings.

12. Barb Eree

Barb Eree Member
    Registered

Thank you for the welcome.
    I live I Ohio. One day it's 35 degrees and the next day it's 70. We do plant our snow peas and potatoes and green onions in the ground the last of this month.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  13. Barb Eree

Barb Eree Member
    Registered

Wow! I've grown varieties of tomatoes over the years but never heard of that variety. We are planting several varieties this year but brandy wine pinks and reds are my favorite. We share lots with our family and friends.
    Thanks for the welcomr

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I missed you with all the excitement of losing the board this week. Welcome from Wisconsin Barb. Most of our tomatoes came up by themselves last year. We were bad about the gardens. Concentrated more on tending edible weeds. Will get back to work again this year.

15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Spread the excess Harvest to friends and family not on the compost pile

gardencartoon_860-860x573.jpg