Gardening, Flowers And Veggies, 2023

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not every place can have cellars. I knew many places in South Georgia and Florida that had a water table that was too high for a real cellar. Same her, as out water table is only 10 feet down even in summer. During the spring that it would flood. We put in a cellar into a bank, but were unable to keep rodents out, so it was only used for a couple years.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Water table isn't very deep in most places, Florida was basically built on top of a swamp. We also have lots of underground caverns here. Divers come here from all over the world to dive in the spring's caverns.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Exactly my point.

Beth Gallagher and Marie Mallery like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I know and I agree. My friend in Panama City Beach tried a basement, it was a disaster for years.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The raised beds are doing quite well. I have some little marble-sized tomatoes and a ton of radishes.

IMG_2308.jpg

Faye Fox, Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Pulling a few radishes today.

IMG_2323.jpg

Faye Fox, Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good afternoon to all-
    So far, our gardens are doing well. We ate spinach intil we didn't want to eat any more, and our lettuce was quite good, too. We've pulled and dry-stored our first crop of onion, and the later crops of onions look very promising. the snow peas are very good, and the broccolil has been prodcutive.
    Green beans are up and doing well, and I have hopes for our container-grown 'maters this year.
    In fact, it all looks good at this point- keep fingers crossed.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Haven't been to the garden yet but am thinking of taking a bag to harvest the first nettle. Unseasonably warm this week so stuff is starting to pop. But snow forecast for next week.:confused:

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I've been harvesting chives and radishes all week. Yesterday I ran into a little ribbon snake who was sunning himself next to the cucumber vines. It's supposed to rain today so I don't need to water.

I have a bumper crop of bok choy in one of the Aerogardens so I'm making stirfry for dinner today.

Faye Fox, Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Question for all you more experienced food growers. We have various veggies growing indoors with lots of sunlight. Peppers, tomatoes etc . some have come up others have not. Some are falling over even with watering. Many of these we should not plant here until May 1st because last frost is not until 4-28. How do I keep them up and growing ?

Faye Fox, Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Lack of light will cause lanky seedlings. Lower temperatures will help this is some types of plants. Cucurbits like squash and cucumbers do not transplant well, so if you have those started and they are getting big, you would be better off restarting new plants than transplanting the ones you have already growing if they are more than 4 weeks old. I would have to have more information on the plants "falling over" to know what is causing it. Low germination can be caused by fertilizers (even compost) in the soil or improper temperature.

Faye Fox and Mary Stetler like this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

20230420_150932.jpg they all get full sun light

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sometimes seeds just don't germinate. That's why you should put 2-3 seeds to a pod, then when they come up you can thin them out. As far as leggy seedlings, sometimes you have the light source too high and the little plants are "reaching" for the light. Keep the light source about 5" or so above the seedlings. Are you using grow lights or just the light from the window?

You probably know that leggy tomato plants are fine; you can just plant them "deep" and they will form roots along the stem that's planted. Just bury the stems up to the lowest set of leaves.

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The leggy seedlings appear to not have enough sunlight despite the direct sunlight. Do you perhaps have low-E windows? They are death to plants as they eliminate some of the wavelengths of light essential to plants. Most new houses are built with them. I have no idea on the lack of germination. Do a germination test and see if the seeds are any good.

Faye Fox likes this.