Gardening, Flowers And Veggies 2024

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Weeds aren't a problem since I'm using raised planters, but I've still never had any luck with carrots. Like most people, I think, lettuce isn't among my favorite things to eat, since it doesn't have a whole lot of taste (although I do think our homegrown is better than the supermarket stuff), but it does go well with bacon or salad dressing and tomatoes. We both like sauerkraut, but the bother of making our own leads us to buy sauerkraut ready-made.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Side-dress your carrots with a balanced fertilizer, either organic or not depending on your wants. Carrots are one of the crops that definitely benefit from organic fertilizers as they pick up flavors from what is in the soil. That is one of the reasons home-grown carrots taste a lot better than commercially grown ones.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I always thought that home grown tomatoes tasted the BEST. But some grown in old soil did not taste as good as those in fallow soil from last year. Those are YUMMY. We have got to Turn the garden over this fall. (List of things to do.)

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I got some mustard greens seeds and will be planting them around the first of September. It's just too hot to start seedlings right now.

5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The recent rains and cool temps have devastated the garden in the week we were gone. When you only have a 90-day growing season, losing a week or two really sets things back. While we were gone, we had cool temps, snow on surrounding mountains, and 2.8 inches of rain. The beans have been devastated, and even the peas have been pounded off the trellises by the hard rain. The winter squash and pumpkins are behind, but the zucchini and summer squash are doing okay. Cabbages are going gangbusters, and cauliflower and broccoli are doing quite well. Even the greenhouses are not great, but better than the outside gardens. Raspberries are doing quite well despite the rain, and reports of blueberries are good.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Registered

Definitely not a good garden year.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Had you been at home, would you have a way to cover your stuff to protect it from the elements?

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We could have heated the greenhouses and covered some of the other crops. Sometimes, though, the weather just beats you no matter what you do. I harvested my garlic this morning and have it drying in the garage. I don't think there is any saving the beans, and they probably wouldn't have done well even if we had been here. Even the beans in the greenhouse aren't doing well. Hopefully the in-ground crops will do well, although late rain like this sometimes gives the potatoes hollow heart. Sigh....

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I hope this don't put a dent in your lives. I've often comment about how prior generations were always on the bubble...too much/too little rain, sun, heat, etc. and you had no food. It put the crap of office work into perspective for me ;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We can always kill animals to live;)

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

I guess that's always been true, huh?

12. Mary Stetler

Registered

You know what's funny? Even the weeds are not doing well. With all the spring rain, the nettle should've been great. It is growing in odd places but not in quantity. Thistles are insane. Lots of chicory but I have enough put up. Lots of clear weed which I would not eat on a bet. Grasses choking everything out. I wasn't up to put up cattails... But we got apples coming out of our ears which is surprising since we didn't water during the dry spell. Plums and peaches have some sort of fungus; even the wild plums. Will have to order bean seed for next year.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good afternoon to all-
    It seems we have entered the "Dead Zone" here on the Gulf Coast for this year. In mid to late summer, gardens just dry up or float away and die. Can't raise a fight with a gallon of whisky in summer here.
    But, I do have my fall broccolli and collards started, and the little plants are already up and growing.
    We grow much more food in the fall and winter here than we ever can in summer.
    And my satsumas- mandarin orange trees- are starting to droop and hang low with the heavy crop of oranges- can't wait to pick a bunch and squeeze them up for breakfast juice- so very good.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

14. Mary Stetler

Registered

Sounds yummy! This has been my worst gardening year. Probably because I have not spent enough time on the garden but the weather was the rest of the problem. Between drowning and drying for long periods it almost didn't seem worth it to weed. But like you, our fruit trees are drooping.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered