Gardening, Flowers And Veggies 2024

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

A whole new slant on seed saving!

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Registered

Yes, some of my seedlings are already getting leggy. But as I told hubby who always says I am starting them too early, we have plenty more.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

So exciting!! I'm getting a couple of Aerogarden seed trays ready for tomatoes and cucumbers. I need to sift through my seed box and try to remember what I had planned for this spring.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I gave a little talk today at a garden club on growing tomatoes and peppers. When they asked for the one thing I would advise, I said, "Don't start tomatoes too early." Remember light and cool slows growth and prevents legginess (good on good looking women but bad on veggie plants). Warm temperature and too little light cause legginess--in plants, not women.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yeah, but you can plant tomato seedlings up to the first set of "real" leaves. :p Just dig a little deeper!! Besides, I will be planting outside by the first week of March so I need to get busy. Our growing season is just a bit different from Alaska!

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have people who start tomatoes now here too, but they have monsters when they try to set them out in late May or early June. First set of true leaves might be several feet from the top of the plant and very difficult to move:)

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL. thats what I thought but if Beth has dogs, she may be safe. Since we adopted these two feral dogs, ha, 'just kidding they are coming around', no wildlife though. I do miss the wildlife.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Since we got these two dogs ,no wildlife, but since they also made the yard a sandpit, we put up a fence so we may have problems now that Foxy and Leo will be restrained in the daytime. Thier area is a bif part of back yard though.so plenty of room to run.

We planted sunflower seeds too but too early, imo.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Amazing how long seeds last. I wonder if we could bring back some of our native plants, I've noticed we have lost several species just in last 28 years here.

We have lots of sunflower plants so I'll have to try and find a place to plant them out in next couple months.
    Tomorrow will be a good day for cultivating, sunny and temps in low 70s.
    We started seeds too early this year.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I got some little trays of seeds planted today... cucumbers, okra, zucchini, pepperoncini peppers and some herbs for my outside raised beds. They are tucked in under the grow lights and I'll be hovering over them. :D Tomorrow I'll be planting tomato seeds in an Aerogarden seed starter tray. It holds 23 seed pods and I have picked out a few varieties. I also ordered another Aerogarden seed tray that should be here by Friday.

I'm not planting cherry tomatoes outside this year; I have too many of those growing in the dining room. :oops: I spent an hour or so on the Seeds 'N Such website earlier; they were having a 25% off sale today so I bought several more packs of seeds. Yellow squash, a couple of types of tomatoes, cucumbers, bush beans, and POTATO SEEDS!!! :eek: I have never grown potatoes from seed so this will be interesting. https://seedsnsuch.com/products/clancy-hybrid-potato-seeds?_pos=1&_sid=75bb350c4&_ss=r I'm planting those in grow bags.

I need to go to the garden center and buy a couple of new trellises and maybe a few tomato cages for the Earthboxes. I loooooove the garden center.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    Don Alaska likes this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I love me some pepperoncini! I used to have one on my salad every night.

I never gave much thought to growing them...and I bet the pickle is pretty simple.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I pickled some banana peppers a few months ago and they are SO good. If the pepperoncinis do well I'll be pickling them, too.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Registered

Wait. Next they will come up with Aerogardens have too big a carbon footprint.o_O

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

If Prince Harry can fly to London to visit with the king for 45 minutes, I can have Aerogardens. :p

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's different. The emissions from Elites benefits the planet. I saw a PBS special on it just last week.