Gardening, Flowers And Veggies 2024

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I was going to plant the sunflowers today but was up all night so unless I get a nap it won't happen.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Were you sick @Marie Mallery ?

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

No Don just dealing with an real old dog in a storm. I know we should put her down but she still eats good and slowly walks the trail with me. I got her in the house, and she finally went to sleep but I didn't.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have two trays of bedding plants sitting outside to "weather off". Planning to get them planted tomorrow.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I can't believe how tired I am; it seems like I barely get anything accomplished and I have to sit down in the shade. But... I got two raised beds planted with pickling cucumbers and we managed to prepare 2 of the City Pickers grow boxes before we ran out of soil. We need to buy about 7 more bags of potting mix to get all those done. I'm going to put dwarf okra plants in one, yellow squash in one, zucchini in one, and bush beans in the last one.

Then I have 4 Earthboxes that also need soil; those will hold tomato plants. I hope to get those planted tomorrow.

Oh, and I have 4 or 5 volunteer potato plants! They are in the raised beds where I was tossing kitchen scraps all winter. :D They aren't ideally positioned but I just planted around them. And speaking of potatoes... my potato seeds germinated 100% so I will be putting those little guys in grow bags.

6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I am envious!

Jake Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm thinking of putting soaker hoses in the raised beds this year... or I should say "hose" because I was going to buy one long soaker for three 4' beds. I see some kits on Amazon that include a regular hose, soaker hose, and fittings so the soaker can be customized. Like where it goes between beds there will be an insert of regular hose so that it's not soaking the grass. Here's the "Gorilla Easy Connect Soaker Kit" CLICK!!

upload_2024-3-8_20-51-34.png

This started me thinking that I might just buy a long soaker hose and apply some gorilla tape strategically to keep the soaker from soaking where it goes between the beds. This will be a cheaper option. What do you think??

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

IO think it is a good idea, we used them about 8 yrs. ago.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Did you use tape on the sections where you didn't want water dripping?

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

No ,we didn't have sections though, but I'm sure that may work. or a small hose to go from one side to the other, Jakes advice.

11. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In this photo you put up, as you can see they use only water hoses, to go from one bed to the other and a soaker hoses in the beds. :)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, but not regular hoses. They provide a length of hose without connectors and brass fittings so that the length of the "dry" piece can be customized. I'm wondering how secure all those fittings will be. So I thought I'd get a regular soaker and in the space where it crosses to the next bed I will wrap with tape to keep it from "soaking" that area. Do you think tape would work?

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  13. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think it would depend on the type of tape, but it wouldn't work as well as using PVC, or a hose, to splice or screw into soaker hoses. Any hardware store could help you with a quick fix on it. :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

@Beth Gallagher I use soaker hoses all the time, and I would recommend you use the green hose rather than tape. The tape will leak and in your heat may come loose. I have no problem with the connectors, and if possible, you can make a manifold out of PVC pipe and connect a soaker at each bed. The pressure will be more uniform that way.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I planted one City Picker planter with yellow squash this morning. Now it's getting really windy outside so I probably should have waited. I was going to plant the okra but I guess I'll wait until the wind dies down.