Gardening, Flowers And Veggies 2024

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Last couple days was bad for me, today I feel better.

I see leaves on fig tree and flowers all over orange and pear trees, I hope we don't have a freeze but them the bugs are bad already, so not sure what I hope for, not that hopping matters anyway.

2. Marie Mallery

Registered

Only planting out will be okra and sweet potatoes from here on. Also, soon sit plants out of greenhouse, but leave them in containers.

Jake Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Okra and sweet potatoes are two crops that should be able to take the heat of summer. Watermelons?????

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

If we plant them now but maybe next week, I'll put them on the hügelkultur mound if I do. Not sure yet, guess I could just put the seed in ther ground and hope for the best. Maybe some of the sweet potato slips too, see when it cools down again, today is hot. Next week will be lower temps.

Jake Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a dreary day but the little garden beds are enjoying the rain. Here are the City Pickers grow boxes with bush beans, zucchini, dwarf okra, and yellow squash. Two of the raised beds in the background have pickling cucumbers and the third has a few tomato plants.

upload_2024-3-17_13-8-56.jpeg

And here are my first attempts at potatoes in grow bags. I started these from seeds in my Aerogarden. My father-in-law made that cow in the late 1990's so it has been around awhile.

upload_2024-3-17_13-10-52.jpeg

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

OK one other thing that concerns me is a product called Grazon. It is sprayed on hay fields to prevent broad leaf weeds. When your animals eat the hay,straw...or sleep on it and you used their products as fertilizer of mulch it can destroy your garden soil for veggies and flowers.
    I haven't bought my hay at the auction in years and won't be doing it in the future. I wonder about bagged manure at walmart.

7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Your rototiller must have problems getting over the plastic sides of the containers.:rolleyes:

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Looking good Beth, hope we can get back to ours soon. I like the containers you use for beds.

Jake Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I have the manual tiller. :D

upload_2024-3-17_16-27-6.jpeg

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, Marie. This is the first time I have used those "City Pickers" containers. They are an Earthbox knock-off and are often on sale for around $25. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0798W7X4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is about the only kind of "hobby gardening" that I can do anymore. It's mostly for entertainment and no big harvests are expected. Though last year I had a surprising number of cucumbers from those raised beds and put up a lot of pickles.

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Our main problem is not organizing. Sometimes its not out fault, like the van breaks down or storm cause damage, well tank foes down, etc,etc,etc,.

But I do need to start some strawberry's and blueberry, so we don't have to buy them anymore, they are one of my most important' meds' they really help with ZBP and BG. They grow them all over this area so once planted they do ok.
    As we age it should be a main priority to be organized.
    We do have a large area of wild blackberry that will be blooming soon, we didn't plant them\.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

I feel the same way, we haven't had to buy hay in 24 years, since we had equine.
    We make almost all our fertilizers except sulfur and hydroponic, which we don't do now.
    How much longer can we last doing this, not much.
    I rake the leaves; Jake gets manure from hens and plenty of fallen tree limbs and leaves.
    8 or 10 years ago we did great ,now we don't do so good.

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Sorry things are so tough for you and Jake, Marie. We all suffer a decline in function when we get old.

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

Don we need to realize this and think about things.
    I like cutting vines, I can't make a mistake doing that and I'm in the woods staying busy.
    Also I hate to see a beautiful old tree being killed by the things. I don't get near as tired anmd I feel good mentally.
    I may have a few more cool days to get back i the woods and use the bug stuff on my pants, shoes.
    I can honestly say I've saved hundreds of trees since we been here since Feb.1st. 1998. If Jake is busy, I take the two-way radio and my dogs.

15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Get that small used tractor with hydraulics if you can afford it. It will make your life so much easier outside.