Gender Vagueness

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Sunny Allen, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Admittedly I am not an expert in the medical profession, although I am becoming more and more a financial supporter. I have observed in Doctor's offices, the "Gender: M [ ] F [ ]" is being replaced by "Gender: ____________". What rattled me was when I was doing a pre-admission to a hospital for a procedure, the admissions person (I thought was a woman, but who knows anymore) asked me which "Gender I identified with"? I couldn't ever remember being asked that question before and really really did not understand what it had to do with my procedure... which was nowhere near that "area". I crossed my legs, hunkered over, covered up and said male AND I would like to remain that way.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There is a PBS show that has aired many many times recently on their POV Program titled "Things We Dare Not Do."

Defying gender norms, a 16-year-old in the Mexican coastal village of El Roblito grasps the courage to tell his parents he wants to live life as a woman.

It's all in the wording. Ignoring reality, or [bravely] defying gender norms?

Our tax dollars at work...