German Marching Song: Anne Marie

Discussion in 'Music' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Thomas, do you remember this German marching song? (The booms are the big bass drums)

"Wenn die Sonne scheint, Annemarie (boom boom boom)
    Machen wir (boom boom boom)
    'ne Landpartie!" (boom boom boom )

When I worked at Boeing over 20 years ago, a new Engineer was hired from Germany (Rolf Lammert) and he taught me some German marching songs. (He was in the Wehrmacht when he learned them during the War.)

Hal

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Hal, I'm somewhat moved that you were thinking of me when you came across this marching song. I'm afraid I don't remember it from my active service, though, because that marching song belongs to the Imperial German Army and the Wehrmacht and was also sung in the Bundeswehr after WWII. Still, I might have heard it when it was played in movies about that time of which I have watched quite a lot.
    The former East German Army, in which I served, had a different line of tradition that did not include the Wehrmacht and its marching songs but workers' songs. Popular marching songs of the East German Army, which I also had to sing, were:
    Spaniens Himmel (Spain's Sky),
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIwJaguexpY

Brüder zur Sonne, zur Freiheit,
    (Brothers up towards the sun, to freedom)
    Strangely, this old song of the labor movement, was also sung by the Nazis (with changed lyrics) to attract workers to their party and was later sung in both parts of Germany during the cold war and is still sung today by social democrats, video: song beginning at 01:11.
    https://deutschelieder.wordpress.com/2017/06/15/hermann-scherchen-brueder-zur-sonne-zur-freiheit/

Auf, auf zum Kampf
    (Up, up let´s fight!)
    https://rosaluxemburgblog.wordpress.com/2012/06/23/auf-auf-zum-kampf-zum-kampf/

It's not surprising that your co-worker still remembered that marching song if he'd served in the Wehrmacht.

3. Hal Pollner

Registered

Thanks for that welcome and informative reply, Meine Freunde!

Hal

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Registered

Play this march at high volume with heavy bass!

Tom Galty likes this.
  5. Hal Pollner

Registered

Wenn die Sonne scheint Annemarie, (BOOM BOOM BOOM)
    Machen wir (BOOM BOOM BOOM)
    'ne Landpartie! (BOOM BOOM BOOM)

Hal

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Since my Jewish mom grew up in Germany during the war, a German military song isn't really going to be on my music appreciation list.
    However, I usually DO like military songs, especially cadences.....(if NOT German). :)

7. Thomas Stearn

Registered

I recall that you introduced this marching song some time ago telling us that your former co-worker still remembered that marching song from the time when he'd served in the Wehrmacht. I'd replied to your post. Do you remember that?
    No objection to the text as such. Just sad that the song was captured by the Wehrmacht. So it's not part of the repertoire of our Federal Armed Forces any more.

8. Hal Pollner

Registered

The translated German first line says that "when the sun shines, Annemarie will be going on a picnic", as suggested by the figures in the picture.

"Machen wir eine Lanpartie!" (there will be a picnic)

Too bad the Nazis had to use this peaceful march in their Wehrmacht parades.

Hal (1/4 Jewish)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  9. Thomas Stearn

Registered

A "Landpartie" was basically an outing into the countryside which may either have included a picnic or stopping by at an inn depending on their wallet.

Hal Pollner and Beth Gallagher like this.