Getting Certain Things Done Pleases Me No End

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was little I found playing with others to be no 'fun'. I was small and always the last to be picked in games and always being picked on. Then there was always some disagreements which some lead to fighting which I didn't like. I distanced myself from all of that and just stood back and watched the others.

In high school pretty much the same but I did find that I enjoyed interacting with a couple of teachers who would always get me to smile.

I have to say that the most fun I have in my life is with my family.

I have to say it was fun getting to where I am today as I often look back on.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Von Jones ...me also. I was always the dreaded last pick of anything. I spent younger years always feeling I was on the outside looking in. Then something happened - not sure what- but I broke that glass barrier down and - things have been different ever since.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell, good for you!

I found that I liked being on the outside looking in.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I do miss not being able to do the things that I used to be able to do. I miss living in the country and having a horse and riding in the mountains all day long with friends. I even miss having a milk goat and my llama. Getting into a kayak is out of the question, or if I managed to get in, I would probably end up in the lake while trying to get back out again.
    However, just because I can’t do the things I always enjoyed doing, does not mean that I am going to sit and be miserable, so I look for new things that I can do , to keep me entertained and keep my brain and body working.

I still do the things that I am able to do, just in lesser amounts.
    I no longer spend all summer playing with my rototiller and weed eater, because even the electric ones wear me out too much, but I can still use them, for a little while at a time.
    Bobby and I both enjoy going to the fitness center, and we do that almost every day. Swimming helps me a lot, both mentally and physically, and I have made some friends at the fitness center.

I am pretty shocked that a place that costs as much as Lon’s Assisted Living home does not at least have some sort of exercise equipment, a pool, and some social activities for the people who live there !
    I think that we all can make a choice to find things we enjoy or to feel sorry because we can’t do the things we used to do. We never know how much life we have left, and I intend to enjoy mine as much as possible while I am here.

5. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Right now it's winter and being an outdoor type my fun is on hold because of the weather. In the summer fun for me is just going for a hike, fishing or even getting a good workout cutting the grass. I get tired but it's a good kind of tired. Fun in the past was more much adventurous though like biking, running, and motorcycling. Such is the life of an old fart.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

There is a excellent exercise room with state of the art equipment and plenty of planned social activity. My almost total hearing loss has made having fun most difficult. I manage to amuse my self and stay busy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2020
  7. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Where I am moving to, there will be a fully equipped exercise room which I fully intend making use of. What I miss most is playing golf and swimming daily. Of course, I could spend every day shopping. I simply love to shop. I guess being brought up in a city with every store conceivable has something to do with this. I don't necessarily have to make many purchases, I just like shopping and meeting friends for lunch or tea.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was just thinking how I used to enjoy shopping or lunching with friends. I could stay out all day at the mall, and it was a fun time. Somehow I don't find any of that as enjoyable anymore, so I suppose we just change as we get older. I have enough of everything to last me a couple of lifetimes, so shopping isn't the thrill it was when I was working and enjoyed "dressing up" every day. My friends now have various ailments (Parkinson's, diabetes, early-stage dementia, etc.) and one has a spouse with dementia, so none of us can ever seem to fit lunch into our schedules very often. I suppose this is just the natural progression of things as we transition into old age.

Mentally, I am fine with this and don't feel any resentment or loss. I keep in touch with my friends and we do meet up occasionally, but things (responsibilities and interests) have definitely changed over time. I don't "miss" anything; I'm content with the way my life is.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Lois Winters likes this.
  9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I miss golf and swimming as well.

10. Lois Winters

Registered

Despite all that I miss, I realize that as we age we find fun in various other forms. I enjoy card games, scrabble, reading and occasionally playing a prank on someone. Still a kid at heart.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Maybe you could look for an assisted living facility that has a pool? Or could you join a local YMCA and get transportation back and forth? I know there are tons of water exercise classes for seniors.

Are you physically able to do any putting? There are portable putting greens so you could try that. Not the same as an actual round of golf but it might entertain you a bit.

We have a back yard pool and it is very nice in the summertime. This time of year, not so much.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Lois Winters

Registered

Well, shortly, I'll be moving down the shore and I'll be going to beach as soon as the weather turns nice, Beth. Yes, I am physically able to do quite a bit. Also, we do have a portable putting green here, but not too much fun. I think Fort Monmouth still has a Chip and Putt course there and I'll check it out when I move.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sounds good, Lois. Actually, I was replying to Lon, who is lamenting that he misses swimming and golf. :D (I love how people from New Jersey say "down the shore.")

Bess Barber likes this.
  14. Lois Winters

Registered

Oh, sorry about that, Beth. I thought you meant me. Well, now you know. :D Yes, "down the shore" is a very Jersey thing. It is only after we get there that we say we are going to the beach. Go figure. Grew up with it.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I worked with a woman from New Jersey for several years. You can take the "goil" outta NJ but you surely can't take NJ outta the goil!! I loved to listen to her talk.

Bobby Cole and Lois Winters like this.