Ground Level Schools

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Silvia Benoit, Jun 4, 2024.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken Anderson,

Most schools have tennis courts / baseball fields. Both areas should be used for classrooms and the sports / P E should be practiced in local sports / social clubs

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Nope.
    One of the major problems that our educational system has is that mandatory P.E. and recess are being cut out.
    And..schools with team sports get a lot of their financing because of those playing fields and the teams that practice and play on them.

My elementary school was a one level school but from Jr. High to college, everything was 2-4 level buildings.
    In this day and age, kids sit on their rear ends far too much in front of their play stations so having stairs at school is a good way to strengthen the legs and is a fairly good aerobic exercise.
    Mind, BODY and Spirit.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024 at 10:38 AM
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Back in my day, each town had it's own schools and were located within walking distance of most kids. Later, jointures were formed and several towns became a school district and built new schools usually on undeveloped land and could spread out. There was also room for the all important multi-million dollar football stadium with AstroTurf.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good morning to all- I'd agree with the idea of kids getting exercise going up and own stairs, except for those kids who are physically impaired- wheel chairs, crutches, walkers- who can't navigate stairs very well. Facilities in public schools must be accessible to ALL kids, and this is why recently built schools are all one level. There's a good and valid reason why newer schools are designed to be on ground level.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

5. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Ed Marsh,

When you see kids rolling down the stairs during a fire / fire drill...you will change your opinion.

6. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    Ms. Benoit- I HAVE seen kids in wheelchairs rolling down stairs- end over end over end. Not pretty. And my opinion on this matter doesn't matter. It is law that dictates that all public school facilities are accessible for all students.
    Personally, I liked the old multi-story school buildings somewhat, but they are not advisable today.
    And to tell the truth, when I was on crutches for a blown Achilles tendon some years back, I don't think I would have been able to negotiate stairs either.
    There's a good reason modern schools are on one level.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Ed Marsh, ALL opinions matter...the more we have to choose from the better.
    At the street level NO kid would ever roll down the stairs.
    BTW, kids in wheelchairs / walkers... most of the times have classes at the street level.

Ken Anderson likes this.