Harper Lee (to Kill A Mockingbird Author) Dies At 89

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Arlene Richards, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

(CNN)Harper Lee, whose debut novel, "To Kill a Mockingbird," immortalized her name with its story of justice and race in a small Southern town and became a classic of American literature, has died. She was 89.

Her death was confirmed Friday by the City Hall in Monroeville, Alabama, where she lived.
    (more)
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/19/entertainment/harper-lee-obit-feat/

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

R.I.P Harper lee

...I honestly didn't realise she was still alive.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That was my first thought too, Holly.

May she RIP. Seems she died peacefully in her sleep and wasn't in ill health. Read where her family is shocked because it wasn't expected. If that's in your link, Arlene...sorry. I didn't click the link but read the story elsewhere earlier.

I should also reread the book one day, I read it in either 8th or 9th grade.

4. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I was just reading her obituary. I didn't realise that her full name was Nelle Harper Lee. She became fed up with people pronouncing her first name as Nellie and settled on using her middle name.

5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting to note is that, less than a year ago, she published her continuation of of the story "To Kill a Mockingbird" called "Go Set a Watchman". That story was actually written before To Kill a Mockingbird but was shelved because her editor was fascinated by all the flashbacks of Scout, the young girl, and wanted her to write it from the perspective of the young heroine.

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember having to read "To Kill a Mockingbird" in Junior High for and English Class assignment. The story didn't really stay with me though until I saw the Movie of it starring Gregory Peck. Later on when I was older I read the book just because I wanted to...and found it much more meaningful.