Has Anyone Tried Medical Marijuana To Relieve Their Chronic Pain, Etc.?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Babs Hunt, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Gloria, I don't do illegal anymore...I grew up and decided I didn't want to pay the price it might cost me. :p

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There have been some federal arrests in Maine though, so we should never forget that as long as it is prohibited by federal law, there is danger. They haven't arrested users, as far as I am aware, but they have arrested growers and distributors. This has occurred in other states as well but the media isn't making this well known, probably because they don't want to scare people away from investing in marijuana.

Rather than going about it through state laws, they should be lobbying congress to repeal the federal laws. Then, and only then, states could do what they pleased. It seems kind of crazy to expect the feds to ignore the law. If it's a bad law, it should be repealed not ignored.

Chrissy Cross and Babs Hunt like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

My first husband did drugs, and even though it was not his “drug of choice” (cocaine was), he also smoked pot sometimes. I remember seeing green leaves in what he had then, @Babs Hunt , and there were always little seeds that had to be picked out before you smoked it or they would go “pop” as they exploded. I tried it a few times, but it made me so dizzy and confused, i could not even speak, and my vision was totally messed up.
    I was told that now they do not use the leaves as much and those are considered inferior, and what is in the good stuff is what is called “bud”, which I am assuming would be the bud before it blossoms and then turns into seeds.
    I don’t think that I would ever want to smoke it , but I would use the leaves for the health benefits if I had some seeds to grow, and I would just grow it in the aerogarden and pick leaves as I used them.
    Alabama will probably be the very last state to legalize it though, we can’t even have lottery here, and some of the counties do not allow alcoholic beverages to be sold on Sunday; so legalizing pot is not very likely to happen, either.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Smoking marijuana made feel tired and stupid, and I didn't see any point in paying money and risking arrest for that. I can be tired and stupid without assistance.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you get the munchies with the medical marijuana? I have absolutely no desire to eat or smoke pot wether for medical or recreational use but I'm just curious....that alone is a big turnoff for me.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Another aspect about this whole thing, is that many states (if not all) where pot has been legalized, even for medical use, are not allowing these people to own guns. This makes it kind of a secret weapon in the hands of the people who are pushing for gun control.
    The people who are able to get a prescription for the legalized medical use of cannabis are put on a list , and then they are banned from gun ownership. I think that this has a lot to do with why the federal government is pretty much ignoring that the states are making it legal, even though it is still a federal offense.

https://www.rt.com/usa/357829-ban-gun-marijuana-users-constitutional/

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

I am not an expert by any means, but I am told that they are able to extract the portion of the marijuana plant that is supposed to be beneficial, and people can take just that, by ingesting it rather than smoking it, or they can smoke pot. Maine passed medical marijuana a few years ago, and they passed recreational marijuana legalization a year ago. Out of state lobbies with big bucks just kept bringing it up for referendum until no one could afford to fight it anymore. Like gay marriage, it failed the first few times but those who are opposed aren't able to profit from their opposition, so they eventually can no longer afford the fight. Even at that, both gay marriage and legal marijuana barely passed.

Anyone can grow up to six plants, I think. The passage of recreational legalization has hurt those who got into the business for medical marijuana because people no longer need a medical marijuana prescription in order to have it or to grow it. A news article also said that most marijuana sales are still being conducted between private parties because it's cheaper than the higher price of legal pot, so Maine isn't seeing much in the way of tax benefits. It's still being sold under the table, so to speak, but with a lesser chance of arrest.

Chrissy Cross and Babs Hunt like this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Since I don't know anyone who uses it for medicinal purposes I can't answer that for sure. But I remember reading some articles about how it helps people who are taking chemo not be so nauseated and that with the nausea subsiding they are able to eat and keep food down. So it may give them the "munchies" Chrissy. :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I personally would have no problem with this part since I don't own a gun and don't plan to either. I don't think it's right though that the people pushing for gun control should be able to use this against people who use pot if it is legal.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Same with Fresno. Even if I wanted or considered smoking it, I'd be afraid to here.

I do know that the university my grandson goes to won't allow medical marijuana even if you have a note or prescription from the dr.

I don't know if it's because it's a smoke free campus with 0 tolerance but I do know you can't use it.

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Isn't that the truth! We all can be tired and stupid without assistance at times. :p

I really enjoyed marijuana in my hippie season of life and it's side affects...which had nothing to do with being tired and stupid for me personally. :)

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Here's what it boils down to as far as I'm concerned. If I ever get to the point where I am in constant, debilitating pain or nausea...I would try medicinal marijuana for those problems before ever trying any chemical compound pain or nausea drug. That's my story...and I'm sticking to it. Give me natural relief any day! :)

If under those circumstance I would experience a little of the "highs" I experienced in my hippie days...I would just consider that an added perk! :p

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

If I'm terminal, I have no problem becoming addicted to the opiates...

Babs Hunt likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well Chrissy if we're around long enough I just might be able to tell you if marijuana works for pain and nausea (and gives me the munchies) and you might be able to tell me how those opiates are working for you. :D

15. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

During my time in the HA and as a carny I smoked it a lot, and in all its forms. Never noticed any effect on pain or nausea. Its main effects that I could recommend is:
    1. Anti-stress. Forget the martini. Nothing beats pot.
    2. Sleep. Get high before bedtime and you will go to sleep within an hour, it will be a long deep sleep, with no nightmares, and there will be no hangover when you wake up (like with sleeping pills).
    3. Appetite stimulant. Towards the end of the high, you will get the 'munchies' (i.e. get really hungry).
    I quit about twenty years ago, but now that its totally legal here, I am considering starting again. I now sleep in 4 to 5 hour cycles, and to do that I have to stay up til around 2 or 3 AM, and none of that is acceptable!