Have A Gun At Home That Is Loaded And Ready?

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a loaded .22 cal. revolver I keep in the bedroom. The problem is, with arthritic fingers and less hand strength, I can only pull the trigger with the right hand if I cock the hammer with the right. When my hands were stronger and the joints less painful, I could just pull the trigger to fire, it being a double action revolver. I keep thinking I should look for a replacement.

Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

That's another thing Ed, I would have to consider as my hands were beat up doing a manual labor job, so they aren't as strong. Thanks for sharing this ;)

Ed Wilson and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was in Jr. High, we had a rifle range in Sandpoint, and some of the teachers who had been in the military started a gun club for the Jr. High Kids. I think it was somehow affiliated with the NRA, but I am not sure of that part.
    We went each week, and were taught the basics of using a .22 rifle, and started in the course of learning how to shoot it properly.
    We went though the whole range of shooting positions, just like they would have done in the military; prone, kneeling, sitting and standing, and we had our targets scored and graded each week.
    I became one of the graders and helped with that once I had gone though the whole spectrum of shooting positions and graduated from each one.

When I lived in the country (mostly alone) I always had my .22 rifle with me and beside the bed at night if I were alone. It was a single shot, so i knew that if I did have to ever use it, I better do a good job of aiming, but mostly, it was just for shooting at coyotes who were trying to kill my chickens.

4. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not necessary to have house guns unloaded in houses with children - IF you have these quick-access lock boxes. I prefer the manual locks rather than the battery-powered digital ones: I also prefer the push-button locks because you don't have to worry about finding keys. Enough room for 2 guns, extra magazines & flashlight.

[​IMG]

OR
    [​IMG]
    V-Line Brute XD Heavy Duty Safe with Quick Access Lock, Black, (1394-S FBLK)

Mary Stetler and Denise Evans like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As long as your child isn't sharp enough to remember your code or press pattern. If you have a biometrics ones, it would be safer, but the key or combination ones aren't safe unless your child/grandchild is very small or not very alert.

6. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A child can't remember your code unless you give it to him.

Mary Stetler and Denise Evans like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I had a grandchild see me put a password into my laptop from across the room and he had access any time he chose. I had to change the code every time he was around. I had nothing to hide, but he would get onto games sites and download viruses for me not intentionally. He was 13 years old.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

Well I think your idea with the lock box is really good @Tony Nathanson . First of all we have to teach our children and sometimes grandchildren when parents fail about guns when they're old enough to know but the truth is also that we need to have protection I do believe we have been invaded and we need to learn to protect ourselves and whatever way we can it's our responsibility to keep the guns out of our children's hands but first it's our responsibility to raise those kids right.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You don't have children, do you? :D:D

10. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, at the moment, things are definitely on the side of the criminal. You have to be careful not to put anything in your yard/garden which might be a risk to an intruder. I was out walking not long ago and was physically threatened by a man. When I reported it to the police, they said, 'Do you think he has a mental health problem?' Not long afterwards a woman ended up in hospital after being attacked by the same man and in the same area where he threatened me. That was a crime which could have been prevented.
    Mental health units have been closed, which means we have a lot of violent people walking our streets.

11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Sad to hear that @Celia Jenkins.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

I was riding my bike and a guy on a bike was coming towards me, and when he got right by me he screamed something at me just to scare me I think. I wasn't in his way or anything like that. Another lady yelled at me, and I'd been warned about her, because I asked if I could help her reach something. She's in a wheelchair with a set of I think ski-poles, and she goes right down the middle of our lanes, 101 goes right through our town.

I don't go out at night at all, I've heard though that a lot more of the homeless are out on our streets, or wherever, roaming about, gathering to sell drugs or just drink together. Walmart allows them to be there, and beg for money all hours of the day. It's a sad situation :(

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Do I have a loaded gun. Yes because it is a revolver. I keep the rifle unloaded unless I need to go to the farm for critter protection.
    I have thought about scenarios where to shoot if someone is breaking in so as not to do too much damage to my house:rolleyes: Spaces without electrical wires in the walls. We have a sidelight next to the front door. Not a great idea but it came with the house. On the other side of the door--no wires. The door is steel.
    In the heat of a break in, won't be thinking of restoring stuff, though, really.:eek:
    Not sure about hubby's shotgun.

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The shotgun could certainly make a mess, but I think the chances of hitting a wire or pipe with a single projectile would be pretty slim.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I do not know if it still exists, but Florida has / had a law that prohibits a “victim” from using a weapon that is greater than the criminal has.
    If someone breaks into your house and that person has a baseball bat, you can’t defend yourself with a firearm.
    If a bad guy had a pocket knife, a meat cleaver is too much for a defense weapon.
    ………………….

We do not have kids or any reason why a weapon shouldn’t be loaded. If given the choice between getting really personal as in; hand-to-hand, knife, club etc, I choose for moderate distance, 12 gauge buckshot loaded and locked with 5 shells in the tube awaiting to be chambered.

As an addition, I have been thinking of getting a handgun and if that happens, it will be fully loaded at all times.
    If I wanted a club, I’d buy a club.