Have You Ever Eaten A Portebello Burger?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joe Riley, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

With all the rain we've had lately, we have lots of mushrooms.

mushroom 1.png

mushroom 2.png

mushroom 3.png

mushroom 4.jpg

mushroom.png

Joe Riley and Nancy Hart like this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Nope. I don't like burgers, but if I was to eat one I'd hate it if it had peppers and chillies on it...

5. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Enjoy it, Lon.
    What is a burger? ;) I've never had one in my life.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I love portobellos, though I've never had one in a bun.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have had hamburgers with portabello mushrooms often, but have never tried it without the hamburger meat.

8. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

Lon that reminded me of a meal I made out of leftovers when it was my turn to cook something.

We had a couple of large portobello mushrooms left over & about 1/2 ball of mozzarella cheese. Always have some bakery rolls frozen.

Sliced the mushrooms in about 3/4 inch strips. Sliced the rest of the mozzarella cheese. Dug out the pack of romaine hearts lettuce & two small roma tomatoes. Had creamy horseradish, mayo & ketchup in the fridge. Made a dressing with the horseradish, mayo & ketchup.

Cut two buns in half scooped out some of the gummy in the top of the bun. Shredded some lettuce, sliced the tomatoes set them aside.

Grilled the buns, once buns were toasted, I put the horseradish mayo & ketchup on the scooped out bun. Next put on the lettuce & tomato. Grilled the portebello strips, when done still retaining some moisture I layered those on the lettuce & tomato. While the mushrooms were still hot I put a couple of slices of the mozzarella on top.

Not like my favorite mushroom swiss cheese burger but what the heck I used up some left overs. Maybe best was my wife liked her sandwich.

9. Lon Tanner

Registered

A typical American Burger is a ground beef patty grilled or broiled between a bun with lettuce, tomato, relish. melted cheese

Bess Barber and Thomas Stearn like this.
  10. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I brought a portabello sandwich back to the office once. I had opened the bun and there it sat, glistening with oil in all its glory. We had a teenaged intern who walked by and shrieked "WHAT IS THAT??????"

Being the devil I am, I said "oh, this is a sea slug sandwich. It's the best sea slug I've ever had!"

She turned green and disappeared. I apologized later, but the damage was done.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Maybe you are used to hearing it called by a different name, @Thomas Stearn ?
    But here is a picture of a cheeseburger deluxe (my favorite burger).
    I have never had a portabello mushroom burger, and even the ones that I have had with mushrooms were the small button ones like they sell in the grocery stores.

D5F68CD8-D884-460F-AB48-D8AC2B155985.jpeg

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yes, but nothing like the one in the link. A bacon burger is a hamburger with bacon on it. A bacon cheese burger is a hamburger with bacon and cheese on it so it would follow that a portobello burger would be, yep, a burger with portobello mushrooms on it. The example on the link is a portobello sandwich on a hamburger bun.

The one’s I have prepared in the past are made with a thickly sliced port(s), very lightly saute’d In garlic butter and red wine and finished with Demi-glacé and the whole of it placed on the burger. Bib time.

One high powered burger restaurant in New Orleans had the same recipe but as an added attraction and for an additional price tag, placed a small raw red onion ring on the top and filled it with lump fish black caviar.
    Now, I’m not a big fan of caviar and didn’t expect it to be that great but wow, that was one fantastic burger! Thinking about it though, the split of Pouligny Montrachet wasn’t a bad idea to have with the burger either.

13. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

14. Lon Tanner

Registered

They always have two main dinner entree's a soup du jour--salads by choice---two desert choices
    Lunches have two choices plus soup of the day
    Breakfasts --You can order anything--fresh fruit & berries--cereals---eggs, bacon, ham, sausage,french toast, pan cakes
    Any of the meals can be brought to your apartment by what they call TRAY DELIVERY brought by one of the staff at a cost of $5,00 added to your monthly bill.
    I am looking at tonight's menu and have decided on Beef Wellington which I will have on TRAY Delivery because I am having pain in both my legs.

15. Lon Tanner

Registered

Here's my Menu DINNER MENU.jpg