High School Shop Classes You Took

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hal Pollner, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

We are all referring to back in the day but now they have vocational / technical (vo-tech) schools where students spend part of their school day in academic classes and the rest learning a hand's on vocation.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My step-dad had me take a Drafting class in my Junior year of high school, of which I completely failed. I wasn't anywhere near the "mathematical" type, like he was. I also wasn't the "physical" kind, like he was.

I did take Speech and Drama and absolutely loved it, as well as my Typing class.

Had one job where I used a Drill Press and a Metal Cutter. Job only last a couple of weeks. Too greasy, oily and dirty for me!

3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I knew a Lithuanian man who lived in a house so small that he had to go outside to change his mind!

Hal
    Come to think of it, I also took Drafting in Jr. High (1949), as well as Typing in High School.
    Wanna see my T-Square?
    Hal

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

If, back then, there would've been CAD (Computer-Aided Drafting), I'd probably would've done better.

Want to know how fast I can type? It use to be 55 wpm (words per minute) was considered fast, but mine is close to 75 wpm. And, my wife on the 10-Key part of the keyboard.........well, look out, the lady can fly and be very, very accurate. Accountants and Financial Analyst have to be that fast.