Hit Songs, Written By The Singer

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jake Smith, Mar 24, 2024.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like this one she does too. "Talented"

Von Jones and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Jake Smith

Registered

Marvin Pentz Gaye Jr. (Gay; April 2, 1939 – April 1, 1984) was an American singer and songwriter. He helped shape the sound of Motown in the 1960s, first as an in-house session player and later as a solo artist with a string of successes, which earned him the nicknames "Prince of Motown" and "Prince of Soul".

I don't make records for pleasure. I did when I was a younger artist, but I don't today. I record so that I can feed people what they need, and what they feel. Hopefully, I record so that I can help someone overcome a bad time.

Gaye has been called "the number-one purveyor of soul music".

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Marvin Gaye — Got to Give It Up

4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

5. Jake Smith

Registered

William Frederick Gibbons (born December 16, 1949).

Gibbons formed ZZ Top in late 1969 and quickly settled on bassist/vocalist Dusty Hill
    and drummer Frank Rube Beard.

As the chief songwriter for ZZ Top, Gibbons' writing credits include
    Sharp dressed Man, Legs, Cheap Sun Glasses, and Lagrange
    lead single from the band's Tres Hombres album, which garnered them mainstream success 50 years ago.

Co-founding ZZ Top in 1969 in Houston, Texas, along with late bassist Dusty Hill (1949-2021), and drummer Frank “Rube” Beard, with Gibbons as the chief songwriter, the blues-rock trio co-wrote, recorded, and released their earlier releases—ZZ Top's First Album in 1971 and Rio Grande Mud in 1972—before breakthrough Tres ...

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    Jake Smith likes this.
  7. Jake Smith

Registered

James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix (born Johnny Allen Hendrix; November 27, 1942 – September 18, 1970) was an American guitarist, songwriter and singer. Although his mainstream career spanned only four years, he is widely regarded as the greatest and one of the most influential electric guitarists in the history of popular music, and one of the most celebrated musicians of the 20th century.

Jimi Hendrix (1942–1970) was an American musician who recorded over 170 different songs during his career from 1966 to 1970. Often considered one of the most accomplished and influential electric guitarists.

Almost every song Hendrix recorded in the studios with The Experience and Band Of Gypsies was written by Jimi himself.

8. Jenna Parnellson

Registered

Agreed.

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  9. Jake Smith

Registered

James Douglas Morrison (December 8, 1943 – July 3, 1971) was an American singer, songwriter, and poet who was the lead vocalist and primary lyricist of the rock band The Doors. Due to his energetic persona, poetic lyrics, distinctive voice, erratic and unpredictable performances, along the dramatic circumstances surrounding his life and early death, Morrison is regarded by music critics and fans as one of the most influential frontmen in rock history. Since his death, his fame has endured.

Morrison's father was not supportive of his career choice in music.

[​IMG]

10. Jenna Parnellson

Registered

Some of his later stuff was very dark, like he had a death wish. I believe he drank himself to death?

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  11. Jake Smith

Registered

You're right, every time you would see him before he died, he was holding a quart of liquor, drinking it straight. he died in France; I believe in a bathtub, and his girlfriend found him. Sad because he had what some said was a personality of, Dr. Jykle and Mister Hyde when he drank. He was very "talented".

12. Jake Smith

Registered

Edward Lodewijk Van Halen 26, 1955 – October 6, 2020) was an American musician. He was the guitarist and primary songwriter of the rock band Van Halen.

He was the guitarist and primary songwriter of the rock band Van Halen, which he founded with his brother Alex in 1972.

Van Halen is widely regarded as one of the greatest guitarists in rock history.

Van Halen was never taught to read music
    instead, he watched recitals of Bach or Mozart
    repertoire and improvised.

[​IMG]

Critically acclaimed debut album, Van Halen (1978), eventually sold more than 10 million copies in the United States alone, Featuring hits like “Jump”.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Not one of my favorite band or singer, but The Doors were liked by many.

Jake Smith likes this.
  14. Jake Smith

Registered

Kenneth Clark Loggins (born January 7, 1948)[3] is an American singer, guitarist and songwriter.

[​IMG]

The 2016 parody film Donald Trump's The Art Of The Deal: Movie features an original song by Loggins, The Art of the Deal, written specifically for the film. In July 2016 Loggins performed on ABC's Greatist Hits.

"Footloose" is a song co-written and recorded by American singer-songwriter Kenny Loggins. It was released in January 1984 as the first of two singles by Loggins.
    It was released in January 1984.

Another he performed.

15. Jake Smith

Registered

Randall Herman Meisner (March 8, 1946 – July 25, 2023) was an American musician, singer, songwriter, and founding member of the Eagles.

In April 1969, Meisner joined Rick Nelson's Stone Canyon Band and persuaded Nelson
    to hire his former bandmates.

Meisner formally quit the band in September 1977.

Following his departure from the Eagles, Meisner went on to release solo albums in 1978 - 1980.

The Eagles' 1998 appearance at the New York City induction ceremony for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame featured all seven past and present members of the Eagles. They performed "Take It Easy" and "Hotel California". His successor Timothy B. Schmit paid tribute to Meisner in his acceptance speech.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.