Homelessness Is Increasing In America

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh being friendly to a customer is a waste????

Our society has changed so much since so much tech, people don't talk to one another, sit with their machines and finger away.

And on line it's yelling at one another, real warm world.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Since when does a teen living at home need more than an entry level job? Careers on the other hand, are for those who see themselves progressing in a field no matter what that field is. Start at entry level and work their way up just like every successful self made person has done for a few hundred years.

3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

There’s friendly and then there’s friendly.
    A cashier at the grocery store doesn’t need to do more than smile and say howdy and thank you. Talking to someone about their first born male grandchild instead of moving the groceries is a waste of everyone’s time.
    A delivery person is on the clock and has a boss who doesn’t like the idea of spending his money on his delivery guy’s propensity to know everyone’s family history.

But yes, there is so much wasted energy being used on a cell phone instead of the gossip fence between a couple of yards. Miss those days.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Hey Joy. Just a question. Were you ever homeless?

5. Joy Martin

Registered

You are talking about a teen...

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

What? You didn’t read my post but yet got upset about $15 beans an hour?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, Joy, I'll have to say this: Back in the later 90's, I was homeless and living in my small Datsun King Cab truck on a church parking lot. Finances got me there and that was all. I got interviewed by a local tv station that had heard that the Pastor of the church was allowing homeless folks, living in their vehicles, to stay in the church parking lot. I was standing by my truck when the tv crew showed up and came over to talk to me. First question...…."Do you have a alcohol or drug problem?". I said "Heck no, it was financially irresponsibility and accepting a UI check that I wasn't suppose to get. My UI was suspended." I was then asked again, "So, it wasn't drugs or alcohol?" I repeated myself and said "Nope!" The news person said "good luck, I hope things get better for you." and walk to another person.

After a few weeks, my UI was reinstated. I was able to use the address of a friend (for my resume), get a Pager (to get calls about jobs) and move myself to a weekly motel room. Ended up getting a full-time job and renting a furnished room in a condo from a lady.

I was living out of my small truck, but was bound and determined to get my act together...……...and I did.

BTW, there was a reason the Reporter ask me about the drugs and alcohol.

I have compassion for homeless folks, but that "compassion" only goes so far.

8. Joy Martin

Registered

It has come to be almost impossible for a family- or a single person- to find work that will support a home- of any kind and also feed the people involved unless that person has some kind of advanced training or skills. The days of Dad working in the factory and Mom keeping house for the family on a single working-class paycheck are gone, gone, gone.

It's hard to teach much to hungry, homeless kids in school, and I know for a fact that many of my high school kids came to school primarily for the meals- and I don't blame them. The few jobs that are out there for untrained folks- you can't live on that kind of pay, much less support a family.
    Even folks with college degrees are finding it very hard to locate work that they can live on."people" in power now

Homelessness is real, and it hurts. And the "people" in power now have no awareness nor concern for these homeless people.

WE can do better.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

If you had just let it alone and left the “People in power now” out of the post, you would have had a good mind set.
    I know for a fact that you were on another forum saying you were here stirring stuff up. You’re certainly stirring things up but with with false information.
    One of the president’s largest initiatives is Veteran CARE which includes those who are homeless.
    The unemployment rate is the lowest it has been in 50 years but yet, you say that this administration is the cause of homelessness.

Fact is @Joy Martin, you have a lot of sympathy for the homeless but know absolutely nothing about it other than folks are homeless. HiGH tax and high rent rates in Democrat lead states and cities are a major cause for homelessness. The democrat led $15 and hour minimum wage in Seattle, Los Angeles, and San Francisco (for three cities) is another reason for small businesses to close their doors and put people on the unemployment list.
    Instead of lowering the tax rates, the dems issue needles to drug addicts to further keep them homeless.

You didn’t answer my question about whether you have ever been homeless or not so obviously you have not.
    Be sympathetic and do pray for the homeless but if you can’t do anything constructive about it like being enraged about the truth of it, then leave it the heck alone.
    I spent 23 years in the homeless ministry and there were two definite leaps to help the homeless. During the administration of Bush Sr more food banks were established in the U.S. than any time prior to him. He also set up an accord with the IUGM (International Union Gospel Missions) so they could apply for grants to help build new missions, repair old ones and staff them. The work was forgotten during the Clinton years but Bush Jr picked up his dad’s mantel and went back to work with the AGRM (association of Gospel Rescue Missions) and the VA to help with the homeless problem.
    Again, the homeless were forgotten during the Obama administration and now, the present administration is working with the VA and AGRM again.

I know what I am writing about so playing the blame game against a presidential administration which is actually trying to defeat homelessness is ludicrous.
    Sympathize yes, pray about it yes, but spouting garbage to me about homelessness is a losing proposition.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  10. Joy Martin

Registered

Bobby Cole: I am not into praying for action but believe our govt and not just THIS ONE is responsible for this Shame In our Country. Country of Plenty. I grew up right after the Great Depression and Never Anything Like this, there were what was called bums, but today it's families. Maybe if we spent less in killing around the world and feeding around the world and HERE things would be better, NO??????

No I have not been homeless and I did post this before.

And for stirring things up, I look at it as bringing an awareness of the Sleeping Comfortable. Wake them up, stir them up if you like that term.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

My dear, I cannot speak for everyone but I am very much aware and awake and know what the facts are without having to sit around and correct someone when they are obviously incorrect and what’s more having the intent of being incorrect.
    Like the political and media scene, it’s misdirection and has nothing to do with the actual facts nor the real problem especially the homeless debacle.

An old European thought process was when a problem occurred, fix it and then point the finger as to what or who caused the problem.
    With chronic homelessness, there’s a reason why people try to “escape” from the societal norm. No one likes to poke themselves with needles or drink Lysol punch but it’s an escape from a reality that they wish to erase. To simply call it a mental illness is a cop out by the so called professionals. There is always a reason behind homelessness and no amount of money is the solution.
    Just giving someone a place to stay and some food only serves as a bandage on the real problem which isn’t being on the streets and hungry.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  12. Joy Martin

Registered

Ok, I'm pretty done here, I still think it's awful that we have families sleeping in the streets, not just men, vets, but families...

And Yes We Can and Need To Do More...I believe.

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just for the record here, I have six children. Five have bachelors degrees and one has trade school training as a diesel mechanic. All are married to people of the opposite sex and live in single income families with stay-at-home moms. just sayin'.... The diesel mechanic makes the most money...even more than the mechanical engineer.

14. Joy Martin

Registered

Oh, so many professions can do so well without degrees. I have a friend here who is now gone from starting his plumbing in Buffalo, moved to CA at a point and died with millions in property. He bought other properties along the way and CA real estate is like pure gold and right timing.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

And yet we don't close our borders. Liberals are not very good at solving problems.