Hope

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by George Lorenzo, Oct 28, 2018.

1. George Lorenzo

George Lorenzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Okay - then perhaps all those folks at the rally will stop saying "lock her up." I actually supported 45 when he took office, giving him the benefit of the doubt, admitting defeat as someone who voted against him, and recognizing that he had a great opportunity to bring the country together. Instead he continues to stoke the flames of divisiveness. He had his shot to do the right thing, and I listened and hoped for the best, but he lost all credibility he could have gained with me very quickly..

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

But, that link says that D. Trump says that Obama was born in the U.S and you said that Trump lied.
    Now, I can understand that you believe Trump’s former theorized version touted Obama’s birthplace to be elsewhere but since you deem Trump as being a liar, he must indeed be lying about Obama’s place of birth anew.

Somehow, that seems pretty vague on your part.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  3. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Nice try at deflection, but you can't unsay what your said.

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Now we’re getting somewhere!
    It is your unsupported OPINION that he is no longer fit for office but he was when he ran for the presidency.
    Okay, I get that part .........if one only considers his tweets as the only ability (or lack of) one has to have to hold office.

Now, what “divisive” things has he done that has made you so adamant?

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Now, allow me to bring this game of “cat and mouse” to somewhat of a close.

One thing I vehemently despise is the use of literary jargon which seems to display intelligence but in fact, reveals little else but shadows of suspicion.

A commentator is much different that a journalist or a non-fiction writer in that a commentator bases his comments or opinions on an event rather than the facts of the event.
    The ‘who, what, when, how and maybe why” are lost to the ambiguous nature that some people hold dear to themselves in hopes of what they say is true and not after all, just imagination.

It is these characters, the ones who spark division with opinions rather than facts on the placards of history that I find detestable. Did Columbus discover the U.S.? No, but someone wrote that he did.
    Was Edison a great inventor in his own right? No, but he was a great organizer, theorist and businessman.
    Someone wrote it, so it’s true. It’s on the internet, ergo, it’s the truth..........
    Everything we write and do is no longer erasable but becomes a part of history and history knows no boundary’s but the ever expanding opinions or facts that mankind can and does provide through the written word.

It’s either true or false, black or white and there are NO gray areas in which to hide what is truly inside the heads of those who claim to be non-fiction writers and that.....ain’t fiction......it’s fact.

Don Alaska and Hoot Crawford like this.
  6. George Lorenzo

George Lorenzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Okay, everyone. This is how I "feel" about all this. Bobby and Hoot have twisted and turned everything I have said into, YES, gray areas that lack logic and specificity. It's all very spooky. Everything I have said here is truthful and honest. NOW, I tried to enter this forum with an open mind, stating my experiences and advice in the piece about writing in the Self employment section, and I have stated opinion in the hope piece in the politics and government section. I'm done with this group completely now - my words are on record..... I stick by them wholeheartedly. They are not lies. They are based in fact. Believe whatever you want. That's your right, which I respect but totally disagree with.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As I see it, there are facts, fiction, lies, theories, misunderstandings, and opinions.

A fact either is or it is not and is so whether that makes you feel comfortable or not.

Fiction is a literary venue that many of us enjoy reading, but few of us believe to be true.

A lie is a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth and is, in most cases, despicable.

A theory may or not be true, but is unproven or unprovable. Basically, it represents our attempt to make sense of the facts that we have. In a slightly different sense, it might also be considered a belief.

A misunderstanding might involve believing something to be a fact when it is not and is something we've all experienced at one point or another.

An opinion is the conclusion that we arrive at after weighing the facts, as well as things that we might like to be facts.

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Twisted? Now, do go back and refresh my memory as to which part I have twisted?
    You can’t can you?

Alas, it is not mine to decide what you should or should not believe. It’s yours and you should indeed claim those beliefs proudly and faithfully for which I can find no fault other than you cannot provide any proof for those beliefs that I may enjoy the same.

If you were to taste some chocolate pudding and proclaim it to be the best but do not offer me the recipe or a taste, how would I then know that the pudding is indeed the best?
    You see? The type of pudding you are trying to serve is only the best in your opinion and is probably the best YOU have ever had so why then, would you publish that it is the best?
    Certainly, once someone found out that it is Not the best but only your idea of what a superb product is, it wouldn’t sell very well now would it?

Simply put, I can’t buy what you are trying to sell on a POLITICAL board which is supposed to be comprised of statements that are founded upon truth and not conjecture unless of course, it is touted as being mere opinion.
    Perhaps, fiction writing might profit you even more than what you have been doing for the last 30 years?
    I can see another Asimov or perhaps even a Dickens in you for your writing is very good and in the proper setting, I might be apt to read some of it.

Don Alaska and Hoot Crawford like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

A very fine breakdown and in my somewhat questionable opinion, should be studied in order to distinguish the differences in the written AND oral forms.

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

CNN poses as "non-fiction" as well. Non-fiction writing generally requires citations and footnotes. Opinion writing and commentary...not so much. As someone has said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just not their own facts. I have reviewed facts on many subjects and often arrive at different opinions and conclusions from others.

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska Pleased to see you back! I actually started an OP asking about your noisy absence.......

I must add, after reading THIS particular OP, I said to myself, "Here they go.......".

They have. I've looked and laughed.

Now, back to my catalytic converters...........;)

Frank

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Well said and welcome back, Don.
    Whilst I do not claim to be a historian, I do hold historical facts to be quite precious and needful of protection.
    There are some who would have us believe that what they write will be taken as a universal truth simply because THEY write it and THEY believe it to be true.
    In the end and even though there is no evidence to support their claims, we are supposed to believe without any shadow of a doubt that what is written is fact.
    I’m sorry but I’m just not built to receive any information which might be historical in content to be thrown around without the necessary research and proof.
    This isn’t about Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny; it’s about history and what our children’s children’s children will read about when they view the history we lived through and produced.
    It sickens me to think that CNN and the likes of that cable network will actually be quoted and believed in some future setting.

I have told my students in the past perhaps thousands of times that they are to NEVER believe a word I say but to go back and prove me incorrect or correct so that they may never carry around some untruthful baggage that will later embarrass them.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Catalytic converters? CATALYTIC CONVERTERS?!! You don’t need no steeeeking catalytic converter.
    Tie a rope around it and throw it as far as you can and fish for desert trout while having a cold glass of tea... :).

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole
    Now, surely you do not condone that I break Federal Law, yes?
    Frank

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

hmmmm………....since you put it that way...……..go back to work then..

Joe Riley and Frank Sanoica like this.