Hot Air Frying / Air Fryers

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I found frozen Air Fried chicken today! So wondering why I even need this now?
    Beth what temp do you use to heat up things..and how's long ?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Gloria--it depends on what it is. If the item is cold from the refrigerator it doesn't take long at all, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. If frozen, it can take as long as 20 minutes. As with other cooking methods, you have to just keep checking the food.

A meal that I like occasionally is Tyson's hot wings and frozen french fries. I put the wings on one side of the basket and the frozen fries on the other. Cook 18-20 minutes on 400, shaking the basket to re-distribute the food at about halfway. I make coleslaw to go with it and it's as good as any wing takeout.

[​IMG]

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We normally do not eat much pre cooked food.But with crippled hands and arms for now some pre cooked items are handy.
    Last week bought some Foster Farms chicken strips and heated in air fryer.
    My husband who never likes anyone's fried chicken but mine..liked it! So much so he asked for more today for lunch. He never wants anything but a sandwhich and chips for lunch.:rolleyes:.So I am really likeing this easier cooking:D

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree; I've never bought much precooked food, either. But since the pandemic we seldom eat out anymore and I'm tired of cooking, so more convenience foods have made their way to my house. :D

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Bobby got a little oven with a rotisserie for cooking chicken and roasts, and we really like it ! This one does not have the air fryer, but Bobby has his little air fryer that he uses when he wants to cook something like chicken fingers or those breaded fish fillets; so that part is not a big issue.
    I love rotisserie chicken, and home made is so much better than the dried up little rotisserie chickens that they sell at the store. Our first try was probably too large of a chicken, so when we get more, we will get the smaller ones, too.

6. Kay Baker

Kay Baker Well-Known Member
    Registered

I bought an air fryer a few months ago because I had seen so many recipes on a FB group that it seemed like a good way to "cook" without the cleanup on a stove or heating up the kitchen and eating a little more healthy without so much oil.

I've been so impressed with everything I've made that I have hardly used my new stove, which already has the air fryer and convection feature on it. The air fryer I bought even makes hard "boiled" eggs beautifully. The shells peel right off slick as can be and the yolks are perfect. No more brownish color around the yolk. I've made steaks, chicken, pork steaks, fries, hamburgers, zucchini, potatoes.....the list goes on. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a cake or cookies, but I'm ready to give it a shot.

Anyone else use an air fryer?? What do you make?

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My wife loves hers. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to use it, however.

Kay Baker likes this.
  8. Kay Baker

Registered

My hubby doesn't use it either. He's very "low-tech".

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We have one , and @Bobby Cole loves his, too. I have never even tried to use it, and not sure that I have ever even eaten anything that Bobby has cooked in ours.
    I belong to Bookgorilla, and they always have free books for cooking things with an air fryer.

Kay Baker likes this.
  10. Kay Baker

Registered

I belong to a Facebook group and there's a ton of recipes on there. Basically, you can do anything in the air fryer that you do in an oven.

11. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

we use one...same as oven and stove top...faster...more even baking

Kay Baker likes this.
  12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

So what model did you get, @Kay Baker?

I bought a convection oven with the air fryer mode, but because it's the open oven, you can only "air fry" non-meats; otherwise, the grease drips onto the elements. The only thing I've done are potato bites that have the same stuff you'd put on a loaded baked potato.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I bought one for my wife for Christmas a couple or three years ago. She's since upgraded to a larger model, but she uses that far more often than she does the oven or stovetop. She has one now that allows her to cook a couple of different things at the same time, with a setting that has them both done at the same time, despite varying cooking times and temperatures.

14. Kay Baker

Registered

I knew nothing about different brands when I was researching them. I read a lot of reviews and price was also a consideration. I bought a Cosori because it was within my price range. What if I didn't like it? I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one and then just put it in a closet and never use it again. It has a lot of good reviews and there's several web/blog sites that use the Cosori to post recipes.

I like it and I've made several recipes that turned out great.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Thanks!

I've been curious but, like you, don't want to drop money on a one-and-done appliance only to take it to Goodwill.

(ps: I edited my comment. You're not going crazy.)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022