How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It didn't get above 0 F. yesterday, but it has now risen to +5 F. and is snowing quite hard. 1 to 3 inches are predicted, but you never know.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

OK, this is really weird. Christmas week is supposed to be in the 40's and raining.!
    Can't say I am a believer in classic global warming but I do wonder about the tilt of the earth having changed and moved the cold weather to later in the year. It seems to stay warmer here the last few years into December. But then in February we get an arctic vortex that seems to freeze our pond almost to the bottom.
    Today it is 45 at 8:30 and will be raining.o_O

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a spectacular day after raining most of the night. Expecting a high of 60°F and sunny; just a gorgeous day.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's a rainy gray day, breezy, and temps are in the 40's.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Anthropogenic global warming is the question. The climate warms and cools all the time, but the bozos say humans are causing it this time because they want control of everything.

Jan Ahlmann and Krystal Shay like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Registered

Of course my pond freezes when I leave the air conditioner on too long in February.:rolleyes:

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Jan Ahlmann

Jan Ahlmann Well-Known Member
    Registered

Here in SE Wisconsin we’ve been enjoying some unseasonably warm weather, but that ends this week with windchills into the teens. Looks like no white Christmas though. Apparently we haven’t had one since 2017. I don’t mind the cold, in fact, I prefer it over humidity. The only thing I hate about winter is icy sidewalks when people are too lazy to shovel and salt or sand. I end up walking in the street with my dog.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

All of our snow is gone. Yesterday was rainy and windy; very windy, and very rainy, for that matter. No rain today, but it feels like the temperatures are in the 50s, which probably means the high 30s or low 40s. I like to be surprised, so I don't usually look at weather forecasts but someone told me we're not expected to have snow until after Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Sorry @Ken Anderson. I would send you some if I could. Temps in the low 20s F. and light snow. Several feet on the ground, and one son's family called to ask when they can come to shovel roofs. Nothing is too heavy yet, but there is ice under there somewhere because of the thaw that occurred in late November while we were out of state. That makes climbing on a roof especially dangerous.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

You made me go look. We're forecast for rain on the 26th, 27th and 28th. Tonight's gonna get down to 30°. When the precip arrives, the cloud cover keeps it in the 40s overnight. This is how we winter in most of Virginia.

11. Mary Stetler

Registered

First year we moved to this house we borrowed the neighbor's roof scraper because the deep snow and of the pitch of the roofs here. Bought one the second year and haven't used it in 20 years.o_O
    We are due for a DEEP snow but it doesn't look like it will happen this year.

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've never heard of a roof scraper, even as a kid in Indiana.

Jan Ahlmann and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We have roof rakes and roof shovels, but I have never seen anything like that @John Brunner. Perhaps I will consider getting one.

Jan Ahlmann and John Brunner like this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I remember back when I was a kid in north Idaho, and the snow was so deep that I could climb up on the berm and break ice sickles off the roof. When the snow on the roof was deep, my mom and dad threw a long rope over the roof, and then they sawed back and forth as they went slowly from the back to the front of our house.
    Next, my dad had a really long 2x4 with a cross-piece and stabilizer on the end, which he used to pull as much snow as possible off of the roof.

The snow would make a pile underneath the eaves of the house, and then we took snow shovels and piled all of that snow against the side of the house to use as insulation along the base of the house.

In the fall, my folks would put heavy clear plastic over the outside of the window frames for more insulation. You could not really see anything out of the window, but it did let in light.
    I remember sleeping in my sleeping bag with my clothes and socks on, and waking up to frost all over the inside of my bedroom windows all winter long. We only had a little oil-burning stove in the front of the house, and that was the only place in the whole house where it was warm in the wintertime.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

One of the snow years. We were shoveling the roof over the attached greenhouse and we were joined by our dog.

upload_2023-12-20_11-11-22.jpeg