How Friendly Are You?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a mother and daughter that moved into the apartment next to us a few months ago. The mother is a few years older than my wife, uses a cane-walker-wheelchair, however she can drive. The daughter is 55, works for the Post Office and is a few years away from full retirement with them.

The same weekend they moved in, the mother left her purse in the front seat of her vehicle, left the vehicle unlocked and the purse was stolen. The vehicle is fairly new, but without an alarm. The day after it happened, I seen the daughter outside and she told me what happened. When I ask her if she done a police report, she said "No. It wouldn't do any good if we did."

Neither like Christmas, nor do they like people. We seen the mother, sitting in her vehicle, and I mentioned that her registration tag (year) was expired. Was just being friendly and telling her. She told us the tag was in the glove compartment and then went on to say, "We just want people to leave us and our vehicle alone." I'd probably say that they are the most unfriendly people I've ever known!

2. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think this thread is about making friends but about being friendly / sociable with people...and no tolerating all those things we did in the past.

3. Silvia Benoit

Registered

My story is better.
    One of the two unfriendly families on my floor -recently moved in- is also brain-flattened . Yes, each time they happen to leave their apartment at the same time I do leave mine......they RUN BACK INSIDE THEIRS AND CLOSE THE DOOR. I laugh my brains off each time

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You need to stop scaring the neighbors, Sylvia!!! :D:D

Seriously, perhaps they will be friendlier when the Covid insanity finally goes away.

Terry Coywin likes this.
  5. Silvia Benoit

Registered

My name is with an "i"...and actually they are the scary / ugly ones. LOL

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sorry! I should pay closer attention! My apologies.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  7. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Beth! I love your sense of humor! You add a little giggle to almost every thread you visit. I hadn't even thought of the covid aspect. But it does impact the volunteer opportunities I've considered lately which is where I would meet new 'friends'.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

I am quite friendly most of the time. But, if I am in a foul mood, I'll just look straight through you as though you are a non existent entity. That's rare, however. If I am in a store, I'll think nothing of striking up a brief conversation with a perfect stranger and usually with a few smiles shared.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I do the same thing (in red above), concerning something written on a t-shirt or baseball cap or if they look like they own horses or have in the past. Most people get quite shocked that I will talk to them, however, I have to start the conversation. Today's society can be fairly unfriendly, unless talked to first.

10. Silvia Benoit

Registered

No need for apologies..................I always clarify the spelling of my name since I needed to go back to the Motor Vehicle Dep. -in NY and PA- after they messed up my name.

11. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Some years back I did a very hard thing to do, I eliminated most all the negative people I knew from my life, the best thing I ever did really, notice in my post I said nice people. Life is way to short to be around those who wish to drag others to their low levels.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

How nice of you to say, Mary.

13. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As I said before, I consider myself pretty friendly.
    When I had a lovely young lady move in next door (Russian who grew up in Moscow), married to an ex-military man, we immediately made friends with them.

Also, since I didn't know much about the Russian culture, I did some homework and decided to bone up on some of the ways of life in Russia.
    I found that in case we are ever invited in to their home, or if we invite them into ours, there are certain things that must happen.

First, they expect visitors to take off their shoes before coming in, or sometimes a person in Russia will carry slippers for this purpose, so that the shoes which have been on the streets will not be worn in the home. Also, many times a gift is expected, nothing fancy or elaborate, just something simple to show appreciation for the fact that one is invited in. Actually we have already given them 2 small children's chairs that were our grand daughters, but out grew them 4 or 5 yrs ago. They thanked us profusely.

This won't apply, but if a visitor is offered something to drink, always take a sip, even if it is not something you'd normally do. These are just a couple of things I found out.

So, in other words, I'm trying to show my friendship by finding out about their culture, and it is one way I can show respect.

14. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I shred toxic people out of my life all the time........I mean, as soon as I perceive their toxicity towards me / others I close "the door" on them.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I found the people from Alabama and Pennsylvania (rural areas) to be the friendliest.