How Many Different Languages Can You Speak?

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Babs Hunt, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Ted Richards

Ted Richards Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think that is my problem in learning another language, I do not have any music ability, I can't carry a rune in a bucket! That became very apparent in the military when I had to learn Morse Code. I memorized the individual letters but I could never get the rhythm. I went to school with Mexican American kids and could never learn much Spanish.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL....how did I miss this?... when's the next class? I've always wanted to learn English properly... :cool:

3. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Well-Known Member
    Registered

English and Francais.

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I speak Arkansas-Oklahoma border English, a smattering of deep south English, a fair amount of Texas and Louisiana English and, I hate to admit it but I'm beginning to learn some California English.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

ha!! good thing I speak to you online... I doubt I'd understand a word you're saying in real life.... :D:D:D:D:D

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am fluent in proper English, understand the street slang enough to know when to exit :eek:, Read, write, speak a good amount of Spanish which I thank my high school Spanish teacher for. She always joked with me because I was trying so hard to roll my tongue on the 'double rr' sound. I love Spanish.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's amazing how, way back in 1972, when I went to Europe, so many folks there spoke pretty good English. Or the words they used! As we were signing in to a Gasthof (like a small motel), the proprietor, standing behind the counter, implored a huge German Shepard which suddenly stood up on hind legs, gaping at us over the counter, by commanding, "Chahlee (mispronounced Charlie), hoer mal auf!"

Languages? Fair English, a smattering of Czech, same for Polish, some Spanish. Not bad for a Barbarian, eh?
    Frank

Bill Boggs likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Does pig Latin count? :D

Frank Sanoica and Bill Boggs like this.
  9. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

I agree and my mother would have agreed also. English was not her first language and she came to the United States in her 30's. I live in California and I'd never put a Spanish speaking only person down. I've only been sad when I couldn't communicate with my Spanish speaking patients. If I was younger and had more time and energy, I'd love to learn a little more Spanish outside of "medication for pain" in Spanish.

I'm sure one issue in my area is the ability to find so many others who speak Spanish and therefore the need to learn English is not as vital. Though it would be greatly beneficial. I find language fascinating and like most Americans, only speak one language. I've also heard English is not an easy language to learn.

10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If you can. I don't know that I could. Still working on my firsrt language.