Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh I'm pleased that the insurance company have already given you some money @Ina I. Wonder to help with the repairs, and oh dear it looks like you're going to need every penny along with the following cheque ....what a mess!!.:eek::(.I know you said that you got away with minimal damage compared to your neighbours, but jeez that is still an overwhelming amount for you to sort out..I hope you get some help. Not good that the house has shifted off it's foundations at the rear, nor that you have holes in your roof, and floors split and so much other damage.

I can imagine how scared you were...it must have been terrifying for you, and thank the good Lord you had such a good friend in @Yvonne Smith and Bobby , to keep an eye on you, and to know if you ever needed to be rescued..

Are you going to stay in the house while it's being repaired or can you go and stay elsewhere for some R&R while it's being done ?... if I remember your house is made of Cedar wood isn't it?...does that repel water better than any other type or how does it stand up to flooding?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson , I really can see the misery of your home being flooded by the plumbing. The fact that it was in the cold of December, and over the holidays had to be a hair pulling time.

My husband was the one that set up our home insurance policy, and it turns out that I have full coverage. I remember that he had a difficult time finding someone to cover this old structure, and when I had to pay the yearly premium after he died, I was shocked at the cost, but after looking into other companies I saw that I'd best stay with one Michael chose. I was also very lucky last December, because I found out that Micharl had dropped our flood insurance, so I had it reinstated last January. So I guess it's true, you get what you pay for. Now I need some good guide lines on choosing honest contractors.

@Holly Saunders, it's good to hear from you. Yes, I hope to stay here for as much of the repairs as I can. The problem around here is that every hotel/motel room is already full of families in the same situation as I am. We might have to leave for a day or two, but I hope not. The only available rooms are the very expensive ones, and those are few. Plus there is Izzy, Bobert and his dog Taco.

One of the problems is that it's difficult to find someone that is willing to work on a 147 year old log structure that is built of red pine and cedar. Oh, and to answer your question. It's true that I have little trouble with insects coming into the house. I am hoping the original hardwood floors can be saved, but they are pretty warped.

People keep offering to buy my place like they think I'm just itching to move. But I've lived here for 30 years, and this is the only time this place has flooded, and there's not many places is Houston that can say that. So I think the odds are with me.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

OOOH @Ina I. Wonder , I forgot to say I'm sorry to hear that on top of everything else, you've now got a lung infection, the very last thing you need while living in damp conditions... Oh Mi Chica, you have had a really bad time of it the last few years haven't you.:(..sending love to you..

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders don't worry, I went to the doctor and he put me on an antibiotics. With the humidity and everything still wet, the mold levels are pretty high. At least we've had a cool front come through giving us temperatures in the upper 80's.

Yes it does seem like the last few years have contained one slap in the face after another, but I'm still here. I'm beginning to wonder if it is my time to learn how to find peace and contentment in just being. I now live a very quiet life style. I've always felt I needed a reason to go forward, but maybe learning to enjoy each day aside from whatever it brings is as important as the ups and downs those same days entail.

Holly Saunders likes this.