I Am So Tired Of Politics

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Beth Gallagher, Jul 8, 2024.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

With all respect, Tony... he had that in 2016 and we see what happened. So disheartening.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Abortion has never been illegal, when done for medical reasons, but they now act like it was and that Trump would make it completely illegal, which he has said over and over that he would not do.
    It is just a topic that they use to pull votes to the democrats, by acting like it could be declared illegal.

I was born in 1945, and my mother had a tumor in her stomach. Her doctor wanted her to have an abortion and told her that neither she nor the baby (me) would live if she did not do it, so there was no question of it not being legal to do, even way back then. He believed it was necessary to save her life.
    It just was not used as a method of birth control, which is what they try to push it as being now, as a woman’s right.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hey, even if she's dead she can still vote "D". :p

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I Agree, I also feel with all the distractions he had, he achieve more than most Presidents. On the other side of the coin, It just seems the republicans are slow at producing bills. Mind you I don't follow politics that closly, this just what it seems like to me.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Like the threats of Social Security running out of money, I think both sides bring the issue up because it does galvanize people. People who believe that an unborn baby is a human being are fervent that abortion should be banned, and it's easy for them to view everyone in favor of abortion as being supportive of murder. Conversely, the issue of abortion rights is so firmly held on the other side that people who couldn't get pregnant if they tried will hate anyone in favor of banning abortions, and it wouldn't matter if the person was running for a county treasurer position. It's intended to get people to the polls. I hold views on the issue, but I quit considering abortion as a voting issue many years ago, after Republican after Republican would be elected to office (when banning abortion was a winning issue) only to do absolutely nothing on that issue after taking office. To me, it's like Social Security; it comes up every election year but it's irrelevant.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 12:23 AM
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm pretty sure I will end up throwing the "R" lever and vote the party line. I just don't feel that great about it. I'd love for there to be some candidates that I actually feel good about supporting for a change. What a pipe dream, huh?

Bobby Cole and Tony Page like this.
  7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth,
    I know sometimes we only have pipe dreams. The wife and I when we 1st retired used to discuss moving to Texas because we'd like the politics better. That was our pipe dream. We're stuck in a Democratic state, with a dislike for the governing methods. Hope is for a better future.

8. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Watch out for the down-ballot "non-partisan" races, often State Supreme Court, etc.

Look into who is running and you'll find an awful lot of money comes from specific parties and they toe the Party line in their agendas.

How that's legal escapes me.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Lots of folks--including me--are sick of all the texts and emails soliciting contributions, (yeh, we could text 'STOP'). It's really off-putting and annoying. It's tone deafness on the part of the Republicans, big time.

10. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

Imagine if no-one voted in an election...what would happen?

11. Thomas Terry

Thomas Terry Member
    Registered

The fewer people vote, the easier it is for extreme forces to be elected. It is not good if voter turnout falls or entire groups of people do not take part in elections.

You also have to accept that you are not in the majority with your opinion. Unfortunately, this is hardly ever the case nowadays because everyone believes that their opinion is the only one that should count. Everyone else is too stupid to recognise the ‘truth’. It's easy to forget that other people have different circumstances, different experiences, a different environment,... which then leads to people having different opinions. That's not better or worse - just different. We should return to the point where this is accepted.