1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Am So Tired Of Politics

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Beth Gallagher, Jul 8, 2024.

1. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Such a depressing thread.

In some countries they don't have political mail, texts, campaigning, phone calls to annoy the citizens. IMO, the Democrats are working toward that for this country. Why bother people who don't want to be bothered with decisions about who runs the country, when they can just decide for you like Venezuela does. Oh, they will still let those who want to vote do so but as we all should know by now it's not who votes, it's who counts the votes, and that is my biggest concern this year.

Did anyone hear the interview that Trump had yesterday on the economy? It was with Bloomberg Editor-in-Chief John Micklethwait before the Economic Club of Chicago. They advertised it as an interview but Micklethwait asked the questions and then debated and fact checked Trump. If you watch it be sure to get an unedited version because most outlets edited out the clapping and cheering from the business leaders and economists for Trump.

I agree with your comments on abortion, Mary, including the ones about taxpayers having to pay for it. The Supreme Court put it back in the states where it belongs constitutionally and it's unlikely that it will ever be up to the feds no matter what empty promises Kamala makes. Abortion as an issue and the women who demand it are Kamala's biggest hope.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was saying this to my husband last night... how many people are actually affected by abortion law that it is such a huge issue? I'd venture to guess that "women of child bearing age who might possibly want an abortion" is actually a relatively small demographic, but what do I know.

For me the larger issue is that a woman has the right to say what will happen with her own body. We don't want some politician telling us what they can and cannot do with our own body. I agree that abortion should not be funded by taxpayers, though if the government is paying for sex change operations then why not? Women don't always need to draw the short straw and definitely don't need more government control. For every step we take forward there are three steps back it seems.

Krystal Shay and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Only a few more weeks and all of this election stuff will be over. Then we just have to deal with the aftermath of the election results, whatever that turns out to be.
    No matter who wins, I think it is not going to be easy afterwards.
    If Trump wins, liberal groups like antifa will be rioting and burning again, and if Harris wins, we will soon see liberties taken away, and she has always talked about re-programming Trump supporters.
    I am still not sure that Trump will even live long enough to actually take office.
    Both sides have essentially been told the same exact thing, that if the “other side” wins, we will lose our freedoms and rights, and they both say democracy will be lost, even though we are supposed to be a Constitutional Republic.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I dread the election aftermath, too. The country has really lost its way and it will likely take another war or a 9/11 type attack for Americans to come together again. :(

Krystal Shay likes this.
  5. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I agree that it’s not going to be easy no matter who wins. I hope enough people have figured who’s lying when they both say the same thing but I don’t have much confidence in voters.

Unless Trump wins and Republicans win both Houses of Congress he will have to use executive orders and those can be overturned. It’s more about what Trump can prevent the left from doing just by being there. That’s very important.

Krystal Shay and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Abortions have long been legal when performed to protect the life of the mother since that would be a simple triage decision, so that shouldn't be an issue at all. I've even heard people using ectopic pregnancies as an argument for abortion. In an ectopic pregnancy, the egg is implanted in a part of the body from which a fetus cannot survive and where the life of the mother is very much at risk, and that has always been legal. Procedures done in cases of ectopic pregnancy shouldn't even be considered abortion, in my opinion. The baby isn't going to survive, regardless.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 1:13 PM
    Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

As has been said before, people have a stance on abortion and for the most part no amount of discussion is going to change anyone's mind. I don't want this thread to be an abortion discussion so I hope we can move along.

It's unfortunate that it is such a huge issue in the national elections when it is a state matter.

Yvonne Smith likes this.