I Hate Blood Thinning Meds

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Not only because they are expensive even with Co Pays ( unless you take Coumadin), but also because the slightest scratch, stab or swipe will cause a bleed. Right now I am sporting three bandages on my right arm and hand, two on my left arm and one on my right ankle. I am glad I shave with an electric razor or I could cut my throat and bleed to death otherwise.

Frank Sanoica and Tim Burr like this.
  2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I started a thinner after my heart attack because of the Stent.

So far, haven't cut myself or caused any bleeding.

If the Doc says it's needed to help the stent take hold, I'll do what I'm told.

This whole 'heart attack' thing is a real wake up call.

Besides a low dose asprin, it's the only drug they want me to take for a while.

It also helps that I'm retired now and do not have to deal with sharp drill bits, chisels, taps, utility knives, etc. like I did on my last job!

Only worry I have now is the non-twist off caps of my favorite beer...:D

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Registered

4. Lon Tanner

Registered

I take the much advertised on T, Xarelto.
    Thanks for your response Tim.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Warfarin is the old tried and true thinner, but the newer ones have the advantage of not targeting Factor VII and target Factor Xa instead. That means you don't have to watch your diet as closely and you don't normally have to do the same regular blood thinning checks. There are still some applications when they want to be absolutely sure that you won't clot prematurely so they still use a warfarin for those issues. Tim didn't say what he was on for his heart issues.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I take Prasugrel paired with low-dose Aspirin.

Not really a thinner, just to prevent blood clots.

Problem is that you don't clot when you cut yourself, so you have to be
    extra careful shaving, etc.

7. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Just to add, I also carry a tiny little bottle with Nitroglycerin tabs with me at all times.

It's a constant reminder to take things slower and watch what I eat when out and about...

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been on blood thinners for quite a few years now, and never had any issues with a bleeding problem. The first one they put me on was Coumadin, with the testing every couple of weeks.
    While taking a Coumadin blood test, I noticed that there was an opportunity for trying a new blood thinner (apixiban/Eliquis) and signed up for that, which lasted for the next few years, until it was approved.
    Since then, I have been on Pradaxa, and then on Xarelto, due to changes made by my doctors.
    Because of the damage to the kidneys (Xarelto is the worst one, according to my cardiologist), I was then changed to Savaysa, and now back to Eliquis, which is the least damaging to the kidneys.
    Since I eat a lot of greens, and my blood is naturally thick anyway, I really have not had to be concerned about occasional bleeding, even though I am taking the blood thinner.

9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

There is a Japanese cheese that is a natural blood thinner and clot dissolve called natto. They have taken the active ingredient form that and it is called nattokinase. Which is a very good blood clot remover. Do not use it if you are on other blood thinners as it might be overkill and dangerous.

10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I had a co-worker who developed A-Fib and was put on Xarelto for it. He shortly started peeing blood and was hospitalized. I think he was put on warfarin /Coumadin until he stabilized then was switched, but I don't know what he ended up with. He eventually went in for ablation, and I don't see him much since I retired. The greens mostly affect the Coumadin dosage, @Yvonne Smith since it centers on vitamin K dependent clotting factor(s).

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The various "kinase" drugs are fibrinolytic products and dissolve clots rather than prevent them. They can be quite dangerous, although quite useful if properly used.