I Need Help With This Old Pyrex Professional Kitchen Timer

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by John Brunner, Jan 29, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I found this at the back of a drawer:

Pyrex Timer.jpg

I put a battery in it and it works fine...except I cannot figure how to power it down. It has no On/Off switch.

I don't have the manual and I have not used it in years. Memory serves that there is a combination of buttons that are held down simultaneously to power it down, and I assume that pressing any button will "wake it up." I just can't figure out the right combination to power down. It does not "Auto Shut Off" when left idle for any length of time. I can't even find a picture of it on the web, much less a manual. There is no Model Number on the case or behind the battery.

I have two of these:
    [​IMG]
    ...and I have two of these:
    [​IMG]

but I hate to throw this one away. I can always use another timer stuck to my fridge.

Besides, the refrigerator magnet is missing from the back of one of the Taylors, and one of the Pyrex timers is flaking out...I'm tired of messing with it (which is why I pulled the old Pyrex out in the first place.)

I could remove/install the batteries as a crude On/Off switch, but that's not convenient.

I'm so cheap frugal. And help would be appreciated.

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@John Brunner .

Here's my take of helpful, for lack of a better word. 'tip'.

Photo #1

Find the manual no matter how long it takes if you really like and want to keep it or go online and download it or read through and find out how to shut it off. I have done the latter many times and have been successful every time.

Also you can write it down for memory should you forget how to shut it off again :rolleyes:.

Trevalius Guyus and John Brunner like this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@John Brunner this timer looks vintage (more than 10 years old). Sometimes the model number/style is inside the battery compartment. Look closely. Anyway when looking online include 'vintage' in your search.

Trevalius Guyus and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

I have so many manuals on my hard drive that I've downloaded for so much stuff. But I can't find this one. Heck, I can't find any reference to this unit at all. There is no Model# or anything to search on except "Pyrex Professional," and that covers everything from their electronics to their baking dishes.

Actually, responding to your comment got me thinking, Von. I've called Pyrex before when I've melted the insulation on the thermometer probes, and they've sent me replacements for free. I should give them a call and see if they can point me in the right direction.

I don't really have an attachment to this thing, I just hate to throw stuff out. And I like having extra timers kicking around.

Von Jones likes this.
  5. John Brunner

Thanks.

Yeh, I looked in the battery compartment. I'll check again tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes.

"Vintage" is an understatement. It's easily 30 years old...likely older. I've rarely used it since I got the ones with the probes. That's a good idea to include that in the search. I've not run up against a wall like this before. I do know that even the Pyrex website does not include their electronics.

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Calling the manufacturer works too. It's probably a discontinued model for sure. I'll see what I can find online. I like to help.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

Thank you!

I'm the same way. Back in the 70s, my sister (in New Jersey) had a plumbing problem in her shower stall and the guy told her that the faucet parts were discontinued and he was gonna have to tear out the wall and re-tile the whole thing to fix a pretty bad leak. She called me (in Virginia), and literally that afternoon I had the part in the mail to her. That's why my purchasing career was such a good fit for me...I love finding stuff and fixing problems, and learning things along the way.

Here's the back:
    Pyrex Timer Back.jpg

The only thing stamped on the inside is "AA Battery."

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok. I did a search to find a matching photo but found none.

Going on to trying to find the download on your computer. Here are some suggestions some which you may have already tried but bare with me okay?

Key search words would be 'Pyrex timer' but I thinking because it's probably the first one you should probably be looking at the timeframes instead. The oldest one is probably it and if it's not then you didn't download and you're 'out of luck', sorry.:oops:

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

You and I think alike.

I tried:
    -Pyrex timer
    -Pyrex kitchen timer
    -Pyrex professional
    -Pyrex professional timer
    -Pyrex professional kitchen timer

As you likely saw, Pyrex sure made a whole lot of variations of kitchen timers...and then the results included the meat thermometers with the probes.

I did find an old one that was unlike mine--but had 3 buttons--for sale on EBay. I was able to zoom in on the package's instructions, but the thing had a clock feature, so there were no instructions on turning it off...because you don't want to or need to.

I might play with the unit itself some more. I can't believe that it's meant to always be powered up, but my memory may be playing tricks on me. The interesting thing is when you put in the battery, the thing is immediately powered up...you don't have to push any buttons. So maybe I'm wrong. It's happened before ;)

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

That the thing with some battery operated devices, they are always powered up draining the battery.

You would think that the start and stop buttons would do just what they say.

11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

try adding China to search:rolleyes:

12. John Brunner

I put a battery n it this morning and stuck it on my fridge. We'll see how long it lasts.

Von Jones likes this.
  13. John Brunner

I did.

I found some lovely dinnerware.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe you need one that will give you more bang for the buck?:eek:
    [​IMG]