Internet Access From A Tablet?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

CALLING BETH G.

Earlier in this thread you mentioned a "Chromebook"...WHAT IS DAT?

If you can go online with it, that may be just what my elderly friend Yvonne can use!

Thanks,
    Hal

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A Chromebook is like a laptop, only it requires an Internet connection. One of the least expensive new computers, the Chromebook uses the Chrome operating system, a Linux-type OS, as opposed to Windows. I have never owned a Chromebook but I have seen them, and the display looks an awful lot like Windows to me.

When I say that it requires an Internet connection, that's not entirely true. I think it was when the Chromebook first came out but there are apps now that support working offline, doing things such as reading and replying to emails offline, once they have been downloaded, as well as creating and editing documents, and some games.

3. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

i have a samsung-chrome book and it does every thing that my computer does--mine has a touch pad and keyboard- my computer is sitting over in a corner while i set in my recliner relaxing-- all my family has chromebooks

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

A Chromebook is like a stripped-down laptop. It has a proprietary operating system that does not need frequent updates or virus protection. Chromebooks are mostly used for internet access since they don't have large hard drives to store applications and data files. They are mostly "plug and play" simplicity. If your friend likes a larger display than a tablet and a keyboard instead of a touch screen, a Chromebook might be a good solution for her.

I have not owned a Chromebook for several years but there are a few posters here who can answer specific questions (@Bess Barber and @Ken N Louis that I can think of).

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Hal Pollner

Registered

Well, thanks for that overview, Beth!

I assume there would be enough RAM to store a few photos...

Harry

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Actually, photos and other data files would be stored on the hard drive and not in RAM, but that's another thread. :D As I understand it, the newer Chromebooks have 16-32Gb of disk space which would allow some storage. I imagine that most of them also have a USB port or SD card slot so that a thumb drive or SD card could be used for storing larger files. You might find this interesting, Hal... https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-chromebook-832350

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Hal Pollner

Registered

THAT'S RIGHT, BETH!

RAM (random access memory) disappears when you power down, so RAM alone is not a permanent storage medium! Yep!

Hal

8. Hal Pollner

Registered

Yes, B.G...I did find that link interesting!

If my elderly little friend Yvonne bought a Chromebook, would she be able to communicate with my W10 computer via Email?

Thanks...
    Harry

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Of course. Anyone with internet access can exchange email.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Hal Pollner

Registered

Hey Beth again... Best Buy has a LENOVO 11.6" Chromebook, with 4GB of RAM and a 32GB solid state hard drive. Only $139!

You can't use Smart Phone or W10 service providers to go on the Internet with it......you have to use Spectrum.

Hal

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

That sounds like a good deal for the Lenovo.

You could access the internet if the smart phone supports a "hot spot." Then you'd connect just like any other... find the phone in "available networks" and connect. That connection will use DATA, so might be expensive on a phone account.

W10 does not have a service provider. A service provider can be any cable company, FIOS, etc. that offers connectivity. I assume Spectrum is an internet/cable company? I'm not familiar with that.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hal, none of us know what little Yvonne would prefer; you need to ask her directly. If she needs a larger screen, wants a keyboard, etc. that will mean a chromebook/laptop. If she wants a smaller device and a touchscreen, a tablet or that "Jitterbug" might work fine. I'd venture to guess that surfing the internet on a phone might not be the ideal for a senior (though many do), but it's a personal preference so work with her. Also determine her budget and whether she has available internet access. Good luck.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since she already has a tablet and knows how to use it, all she has to do is go online with it.
    With either Amazon (Kindle) or Apple (iPad) you first have to register a username which is your email. If she has a tablet registered with an email account, she probably already has internet, no matter which brand she has.
    All tablets are designed to use online.
    It sounds like Beth is exactly right, and you just need to speak with your friend and get more information.
    If she has a tablet already, there is no reason why she would need to get another tablet, a Chromebook , or a smartphone.
    She can write messages, send emails, and probably do everything that you do with your computer, and with no hassles.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Hal Pollner

Registered

I wonder if little 84-year-old Yvonne would like this phone...it's supposedly designed with "low-tech" Seniors in mind.
    Yvonne is somewhat of a recluse, never answering her phone, never allowing anyone to visit her in her mobile home, and only seeing me when I visit our Senior Citizens Club on Friday mornings, where she serves as Office Manager.

Hal
    713Ps0t8y1L._SX679_.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hal, no offense but I think "little Yvonne" would be better served to ask someone more knowledgeable than you for help with this. As @Yvonne Smith has said (several times), if the lady has a tablet all she needs is internet connectivity. She probably does not need any new devices at all, but rather needs someone to guide her through getting internet connectivity set up on her tablet, then establishing an email account. If she does not have a service provider at her home, that will be the first thing to establish.

No matter which device she has, the setup will have to be done and I'm not sure you are the right person for the job. :) I don't mean this to sound harsh; just realistic.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.