Internet Access From A Tablet?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

HEY YVONNE: How do you know that she has/had a Facebook Account? I don't even know that!”

When I googled her name, it showed both an email address as well as an inactive/private facebook account; so she has at some point been using her tablet online, and could do this again if she wanted to do so, @Hal Pollner .
    It sounds to me like she is not interested , or she would have told you that she can go online with her tablet.
    All tablets are designed to be used online, and just make it easier to do things like surf, message, email and all of the main things that we all do online, and since they are lightweight and easy to use, and have so many capabilities, they are pretty much what most people use online anymore.

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for that information, @Yvonne Smith...I never stated her last name, so how could you get information on her just from Yvonne?

Hal

3. Yvonne Smith

You actually did post her full name and address on the forum, Hal; but it was deleted because of how dangerous that kind of information can be when posted on a public forum.

Attached Files:

4. Hal Pollner

Registered

As usual, with my failing memory...I don't recall giving Yvonne's full name and address!:confused:

Hal

5. Hal Pollner

Registered

@Yvonne Smith, this morning my wife and I visited the Apple Valley Senior Citizens Club, where Yvonne is the Office Manager on Fridays.

We talked with her at length, and she swears that although she has a Tablet, she has never gone Online with it, has no Email Address, and has no Facebook Account!

This is where it lies at this time.

She will be our dinner guest tomorrow night, and we'll have Rum & Cokes and watch a Movie.

Cheers,
    Hal

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  6. Yvonne Smith

I apologize if I was wrong.
    I just used the information that you posted, Hal. I sent you a private conversation with a screenshot of what i found for your friend, so you can look and see if it was the right one or not.
    It shows an email address, but does not show the whole thing, just enough that you can see when a person does have an email address.

In any case, I wish you all the best helping her to get her tablet connected, or in finding something else that she wants to use online, and it is wonderful that you and your wife care so much to help your friend.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Hal Pollner

Registered

Yvonne, I couldn't find the "screenshot" to which you refer.

I also don't know how to send or receive a "private conversation".

Shoot...I don't even know what I don't know anymore!

Hal

8. Yvonne Smith

Look at the top right corner of the page, @Hal Pollner and you will see your name. Just to the right of your name is an envelope icon. that is for private messages you receive, and when you have a message, there will be a number beside it, 1 for one message, 2 for two, etc.
    Click on the envelope, and that will show you your messages.

Then you can post a reply, just like we do on the regular forum. Only you and the person you are having the conversation with can see this message.

If you have never used this function, you might have accrued quite a few private messages !

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  9. Yvonne Smith

10. Hal Pollner

Registered

I'm almost afraid to post this, for fear of being scolded and told that my question was answered one or more times before!

If it was, then as before, I just don't remember it!

So here goes again:

I've seen people with cell phones make calls or access the internet way out in areas far from their homes.

Now, can a person access the internet from areas far from home with a Chromebook?

This is all I want to know, please.

Thank You,
    Hal

11. Yvonne Smith

This is not just an easy yes or no question, @Hal Pollner .
    A cell phone can access the internet anywhere that they have cell service. A computer, laptop, or Chromebook needs an internet connection, either a wired one like you use, or a wireless (WiFi) connection (which all newer models are set up to use).
    So, no, the Chromebook can not access the internet like a cell phone can. A tablet, like an iPad can come with built-in cellular, and those can access the internet from anyplace there is a cell signal.

However...... if you are traveling, or even just going out for dinner, most places now offer free WiFi, so anywhere that offers a free WiFi connection , you could then access the internet by using the free connection.

Also, most cell phones have what is called a “hot spot”, which acts as a WiFi connection, so if you also have a cell phone with a hot spot, then you can connect your Chromebook using that connection, anywhere that you have cell service.

Most of the time, it would be inconvenient to be carrying a laptop/Chromebook around with you, unless you were traveling and had a backpack for carrying it around. Because of this, most people prefer to use a lightweight tablet (like an iPad or Kindle) when they need to carry it around, and if it has cell connectivity, then it can be used from any where there there is cell service just like a phone can.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I frequently use the hotspot on my iPhone as an ISP when I am traveling. Even today, far too many hotels that have wireless Internet have very poor connections and, with my hotspot, I don't have to worry about whether a restaurant has WiFi. In fact, while my wife is driving, I'll often use it to get online via my Kindle.

13. Hal Pollner

Registered

"Hotspot"? This is just as mysterious to me as a "Cloud"!

But thanks for the straight-arrow response to my question, which is NO!

If I ever wanted to have Internet Access away from home, I would just buy a Jitterbug and get prepaid Internet service.

Thanks, Yvonne and Ken!
    Harry

WAIT A MINUTE...Just checked the Jitterbug on Amazon, and they get poor reviews from owners!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  14. Hal Pollner

Registered

Aaaaaah...Yvonne doesn't seem interested at all in getting a PC...whether desktop, laptop, or smartphone.

Last night after dinner she observed me doing all kinds of magic on my desktop...downloading music performances, comedians, movie clips, reading forum posts, etc.

She thought that was "very nice", but she just didn't care to pursue it herself, AND she still adamantly maintains she never had an Internet connection and never had a Facebook account either.

Me? I don't want a smartphone either...what I have is all I need!
    Harry

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well then, I suppose it's a good thing you didn't buy her one and "insist" that she use it!

Yvonne Smith likes this.