Issan Music - Northern Thailand

Discussion in 'Music' started by Richard Paradon, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

In Thailand there are two types of music. One is the normal style that is around in most countries - guitars, ballads, rock and so on and the other is Issan Music. Issan is the large farming community in Nothern Thailand and is very rustic compared to Bangkok, Pattaya and other major cities. The music there is also rustic and I can't seem to get enough of it. When there is a party in one of the villages, everybody joins in the dancing and merriment. I am sharing two videos here. The first is where you can really see the unique and mostly hand made instruments and the other is of a village party during the SongKran (Thai New Years Water Festival.)

I hope you enjoy the music!

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Richard, that looks awesome, and the music actually sounds like music, especially compared to the horrible rap that passes for "songs and music" here in the United States. One thing that I noticed in your video is that everyone looks like they are really enjoying themselves, and they look like normal, happy people. Whole families are participating in the music and the fun.
    We have singers, even the most popular ones, who dress half-naked (or worse), and many of them actually look satanic with their weird outfits. What passes for music here (in my opinion) is often more like just a racket, and the words are filthy and disgusting.
    One of the most baffling things about it is the disrespect that is shown to black people by other black people. While any reference to color, no matter how innocently said, is considered to be racist if said by a while person; these songs actually portray people, especially women, in a very derogatory way. It really upsets me to hear any person talked about the way they are in some of the rap music, and to me, disrespect is still disrespect; regardless of who is saying it.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I watched the first one twice, as it was very good.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  4. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, the entire village will get together and celebrate. When I am up north I will join in as well and as the dancing style does not matter at all, everybody has fun.