Julia's Thoughts And Hopes

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Julia Curtis, Dec 21, 2023.

1. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This will be for lil updates on what's happening in my life and my heart repairs and possibly a lil history on how I arrived here in this time and place...

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Awesomeness, @Julia Curtis , and i am glad that you have started a diary here where we can interact with you when you post your news and medical updates.
    Looking forward to reading your stories !

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm glad you're doing this, Julia. Many of us are "virtually" by your side as you go through your procedure and want to be there as things progress.

4. Julia Curtis

Registered

Thank you Yvonne.I didn't really think anyone would be interested really.But it's here now:)

5. Julia Curtis

Registered

Thank you Mr.Brunner,I'm glad to hear that,it means so very much.:)

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

us
    I am working with her showing her how to navigate the forum

7. Jan Ahlmann

Jan Ahlmann Well-Known Member
    Registered

I’m new and I’m interested! This morning, I read your posts back a few months to see what was going on. I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with this!

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm glad you are starting a diary/journal, Julia.

upload_2023-12-21_11-13-12.png

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, great!! This is easier to follow than the profile posts, plus we can all respond to you. I look forward to following along, Julia.

10. Julia Curtis

Registered

So now they have the size of the valve they need because of a test I had.The idea id that the valve opens like a parachute and grabs on to the calcium blocking it.They do remove some of the calcium and the valve grabs on when it opens.That's ordered from California like most mechanical valves are.But of course no date yet and right now the Nurses are on strike in Montreal but that should be over soon.So that all I have for now.My workouts are still in progress but I've got a Physiotherapist that will show me a different way to do my core work because laying flat on the Physio table I have a harder time to breath.To be continued.....:)

11. Julia Curtis

Registered

Thank you Nancy,It's kinda slow because I haven't had any progress just what I have to date.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Is there any way you can work out in a swimming pool, @Julia Curtis ? Because of the CHF, I have a lot of trouble breathing also, and especially laying flat on my back, like you mentioned. I also have terrible balance, and even plain old walking is a challenge some days.
    However, I am fine when swimming or doing water exercises, and it seems to help my breathing. Another helpful thing is that falling is not an issue in the water because if I fall I just go “splash”, and don’t get hurt.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  13. Julia Curtis

Registered

The gym I go to does have a pool so when I went yesterday I did ask about that and the Lady at the desk said she would look into that for me.I told her I just needed a lil instruction and a lil time.My Gym is the YMCA so whether they could fit me in with everything they have scheduled for the pool I don't know but I did ask.:)

14. Yvonne Smith

That would be awesome, @Julia Curtis , if you were able to use the pool. Swimming helps me a lot and so does doing the water execrises. There are good exercises on youtube if you look up pool exercises for seniors, or for any part of your body that you want to strengthen.
    At our fitness center they have water aerobics classes also, and you might enjoy doing that.
    Ask your doctor if he can prescribe water fitness or swimming for you if that helps you to be able to use the pool at your fitness center.

When I started, I could not even swim a full lap without stopping to rest and gasp for air along the way, but bit by bit, I got stronger and could swim for longer distances, and it really helped my heart failure.

Lulu Moppet likes this.
  15. Julia Curtis

Registered

I'm sure you've all heard about the mess in the hospitals here in Canada.Covid did a number on Doctor's and Nurses and now we have fewer of both so now as it stands,we have the valve,the Surgeon,the plan of action in regards to the surgery.What we don't have is staff and room.Our's is an aging country so seniors wait in hospitals for places in Nursing Homes and up till now they had a choice of which home they preffered but now they will be sent to the 1st available space so as to clear hospital beds and there are Nurses being hired but since we cap the pay on Surgeons and Doctor's those will be slower to come.Our Government has recently offered Doctor's newly graduating a bonus to stay in the Province for 5 years before they go where ever they want to practice.Same with Nurses.So I am as well as others,are in cue and will be for the foreseeable future.My guess is Summer will be when I go provided nothing happens between now and then.My Doctor said to try Paramedics 1st before emergency because it's at least a 2 day wait to see a Doctor if he's out of office.
    Still doing the gym but the Physiotherapist has modified my core work and I'm not on the Physio table doing it.I had to stop that.The pool will be an option at the gym but after recovery.There are no defibrillators or heart shockers close enough but in the workout room there is.
    There you have it in the best way I could explain it....