Julia's Thoughts And Hopes

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Julia Curtis, Dec 21, 2023.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for updating us Julia. Hope it all gets worked out sooner than expected.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was just thinking about you this morning @Julia Curtis. I hope things get worked out.

Joe Riley and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  3. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Still a waiting game.I'm hoping the Surgeon will return my e mail with an update this week,he was away for a week.I know that our system is a "Self Advocation"now since the Covid started or you get forgotten.But the GP I see seems me about every 6 weeks and also communicates with the Surgeon,it's just something I'd like to have behind me.
    The Physiotherapist modified my workout a bit because I was so out of breath.I need to keep that up tho so recovery will be easier.The fear of them not getting to me in time plays a role in each day.Staying occupied,going to the gym 3 days a week...but everyone has their burdens,I would say this is mine,having a rheumatic heart.Thank you for listening.:)

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Julia Curtis - you are holding your own very nicely. I keep hoping also you will hear 'its a go' any day.
    Your having to deal with extreme weather, and catching a bus just to get to the gym in snow and ice, in order to keep yourself fit for the surgery is amazing to me. We have become good friends over the months and i would like to keep you around even longer. you are a hero in many in ways. :)

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Julia, your Life is in God's hands, and it's a safe place to be.

6. Julia Curtis

Registered

Thank you Mr.Riley.:)

7. Julia Curtis

Registered

I've had my workout modified.This is the latest but I still use inner and outer thigh weights and the leg press but I couldn't lay on the Physio Table any longer so now it's a little TRX and it does feel good to stretch.Next week I'll reverse and push myself up.It's not easy by any means except that I'm not laying down and can now breath.Three sets of 30. IMG_7566.jpg IMG_7565.jpg IMG_7566.jpg

8. Julia Curtis

Registered

I LOVE it!

9. Julia Curtis

Registered

Thank you Jan...

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I only just now saw your diary. My best friend as a child was the first in the US to have a heart transplant! Grew up to have a lovely family and grand children. At 50, I think, she got a mechanical heart. You can hear it pinging as it 'beats' if you are sitting close by her.:)
    Lots of advancements in heart care. Hubby had a triple by-pass...:)
    Lots of people interested and are here for you.

11. Julia Curtis

Registered

Yes they have come a long ways,it's only the state of the hospitals right now that hold things up.But the last resort would be a heart replacement for me.I do love life I just can't wait til I can get back to "my"normal.:)

12. Julia Curtis

Registered

The Surgeon that is in St John will call tomorrow at some point,his Secretary called today.So...fingers crossed that there will be movement.:confused:

13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Been thinking of you. Fingers crossed. tell them to hurry up. My hands are cramping up;)

14. Julia Curtis

Registered

I'll do that Mary lol:)

Marie Mallery and Joe Riley like this.
  15. Julia Curtis

Registered

I wanted to let the you know that after the Surgeon in Montreal and the Surgeon in St.John were collaborating to find a solution,that is no longer the case,they did find valves that would work but none of the procedures to install the the valve would have been survivable for me.So as time goes on,things will progress slowly but that the workouts were the sustainable way to,well basically those are what keep me alive and they have been modified so it seems like I'm not doing enough when in reality I'm doing more than I think.So this is life now,there is no fix and I have been waiting for so long and gearing my entire life towards recovering and now it's sustainability only.
    Also a Social Worker that comes to my home from Extra Mural(New Brunswick's hospital without walls),managed to get a Homecare company to come in 2 days a week to help me a lil bit with things like Laundry and she will also transport me to the gym on those 2 days and take me to any appointments or grocery shopping which will be so much easier than carrying things home on my back with my backpack and then using public transportation back and forth.It's proven to be exhausting.
    Every 3 months I will go to St.John to see the surgeon just to see how my heart is doing.
    So that's it in a nutshell.Emotionally it's rather a let down but the Canadian Hipocratic Oath does state "Do no harm"and they knew I would'nt make it back home.