Kefir

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Terry Page, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Last night , the kefir was done culturing, and tasted almost like buttermilk when I put it in the fridge to chill overnight. I love buttermilk; so this seemed to be just the perfect length of culture time.
    This morning, I woke up thinking that I wanted kefir, and barely even drank the coffee. In fact, the coffee tasted terrible to me this morning, through no fault of the coffee, I am sure.
    I sipped a half cup of kefir with a crystal or two of the Himalayan sea salt added for the minerals, and it tasted like the most delicious drink imaginable.
    I guess my body was telling me that I was in need of the vitamins and enzymes from the kefir; and I put another quart out to culture because the rest of this batch will be gone by tonight or in the morning at the latest.
    I have a good energy level today, my feet don't hurt. Actually....... Nothing hurts ! Good news, there, for sure.

Terry Page and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Registered

I think that the reason I was not liking the kefir before when I was making it was that I simply had been culturing it too long, and it was just way, way too SOUR !
    Now, I am only leaving it until I see the kefir start to thicken, and the flavor and texture is much better.
    Before, I let it culture until the kefir had separated into distinct curds and whey at the bottom, and now I refrigerate it as soon as I see the kefir beginning to thicken up and not stick to the sides of the jar.
    I have been drinking about a half cup in the morning and a half cup at night, and when I have even that much, I feel full and do not crave any kind of food at all. I am going to drink a little before meals and see how that works, too.
    I also made some ranch dresing using the kefir, and it is delicious ! I am going to start incorporating more of this healthful food into my diet, for sure, now that I am doing better at making it correctly.

http://www.budwigcenter.com/super-health-benefits-kefir-probiotics/#.VznhxdQ8KrU

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Terry Page likes this.
  3. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A bit of an update on the kefir which most of my family and I are still drinking daily,..........because I travel a lot and the milk here in Russia changes the fermenting quite a bit, I have several times ended up with curds and whey.
    I thought I would try and rescue the curds which are essentially a very health cottage cheese full of probiotics. I separated the curds and left them to dry out a little in the fridge overnight.
    This morning I mixed some of the curds with herbs with finely chopped raw onion and a little spicy salt. The result was a delicious savoury cheese which makes a lovely brushetta.:)
    The rest of the curds I mixed with ground cinnamon and sugar and made a sweet cheese for making cinnamon toast.

The curds for drying

three.gif

Mixed with herbs and chopped onions

two.jpg

Spread on toast

one.jpg

Brushetta

four.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Registered

I like the looks of that, @Terry Page ! I usually ended up adding some fruit and turning mine into a smoothie when I had let it go too long and it was too sour to just drink plain.
    I ordered another package of the freeze-dried starter packets from Amazon, and will start making my kefir again with those. Since I can re-use a dab of the batch as a starter for the next quart of kefir, the packets will last quite a while. Those should be here today, and I bought a gallon of milk to use to make the kefir.
    I like the idea of making a cheese spread with the curds, and if I let mine sit out too long, then I will try that and see how it goes. I have read about kefir cheesebefore, where you just put it through a cheesecloth and then let it sit overnight and drain the whey out, and that would be something similar to how yours turned out, Terry.
    The bruschetta looks delicious ! !

Terry Page likes this.
  5. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I will deliberately make cheese now for a while @Yvonne Smith because it makes a change from the basic kefir, and being a fairly neutral taste you can add many things to it either sweet or savoury.....

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Lakshmi Linwood

Lakshmi Linwood New Member
    Registered

Kefir is similar to yogurt., but has 12 probiotics, whereas yogurt only has 3.

It has a drinkable, thick, consistency.

If you don't like the taste of plain kefir, you can make a smoothie with it.

I buy Lifeway kefir. I don't like buying the flavored kind because it has extra sugar .

i useplain kefir, frozen fruit ,2 pasteurized eggs, vanilla, ginger, and 5 sugar cubes(because i ran out of stevia)